The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Well I have my jazz guitar playing goals all lines up for 2007, so it's now time to look at what I want to accomplish with my bass playing this year. The one area I would really like like to improve is in my slapping and funk bass playing. I took some lessons last year on the subject to get my basic technique correct, and I'm not doing too bad. Needs work though.

I was think of getting the book Slap It! to work through. What do you all think of it or recommend as an alternative? There's tons of stuff on the net, but it's a bit of this and a bit of that. I'm looking for soemthing that all incompasing an cohesive.

Thanks in advance,

Lawrie

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yep, me too James other than wrapping my mind and hands around the 5-string. So, what does a B-P do with their 4-string after moving to a 5-string? (this is a good opening to a joke, but I'm not looking for a punch-line) :)

Think it's time to re-flip the EB0 and sell it, love my Precision but it feels weird now that I'm using a 5-speed.

Let the '07 gigs begin!
Mich

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Michelle said:
Yep, me too James other than wrapping my mind and hands around the 5-string. So, what does a B-P do with their 4-string after moving to a 5-string? (this is a good opening to a joke, but I'm not looking for a punch-line) :)

Think it's time to re-flip the EB0 and sell it, love my Precision but it feels weird now that I'm using a 5-speed.

Let the '07 gigs begin!
Mich
thats what I did, when i got the 6. Now I kinda wish I didn't. Slap is hard on a 6-string..

My goal is to pwn n00bs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Regarding the Slap It book, my dad tried to purchase that for me several years ago and it never seemed to make it across the border - after a few attempts.

James, I hear you - I'm not so worried about the playing well, but the playing a few times a month is what I'm struggling with right now. Once that actually happens THEN I'll worry about how I'm playing :tongue: . Strangely enough I find my bass playing is improving these days even though I'm only jamming about once a month and not even practicing that much. Since my first bass gigs were about 20 years ago I find that really odd, but I'm not complaining.

Michelle, HOLD ON TO THE 4-strings! I currently have three bass guitars and I play differently on each one. They all bring out something different in my playing. Ditch the EBO if it's really not your thing, but a precision is a good weapon to have in your arsenal. I wish I had one, but for all the gigs I'm getting it's not really worth it. I think you'll find that after a while you'll really like coming back to the 4 - I play my Japanese jazz bass far more than my boutique 5-string these days, although that may well change in the future.

I suppose my goal should be to rediscover my love for the instrument since the bass has been a passion of mine for a really long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts