The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spare amp lying around so i thought i might as well use it rather than just taking up space. (one is a head and cabinet, one is a combo, if this is important)

I was just going to use my last delay ( TC alter ego V2 that has a stereo out) and achieve stereo that way. Then i read about phase issues etc so i bought a Radial ABY.

Problem is that the Radial only has one input. I gather than that this will just then output in mono to each amp?

Internet information I am getting is a little confusing. Also would i be able to run a leslie type sim pedal between the Radial and the 2nd amp? I would like to try to imitate that Gilmour amp and rotary amp setup.

Not really a super tech guy when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
"Phase issues" are a potential issue, and not a certainty. It may be that everything in your chain is already in phase. Besides, even if they aren't, you can always flip the phase on the speakers of one of the amps. Keep in mind that phase only matters insomuch as it might result in cancellation. Whether the cancellation occurs electronically (two opposite-phase signals reaching the same point) or in air (one speaker pulls while the other pushes), it can yield the same result.

Rotary simulators are too often used in mono, and sound rather blah as a result. If you really want to hear a rotary/Leslie simulator properly, you feed its two outputs to two separate amps, so that you get the spatial swirl.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So getting the Radial to reverse the polarity (insert your own Dr. Who joke here) might have been a waste then. Ok ill just try the stereo off the delay pedal then.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
OK did you buy the BigShot ABY? If yes, it has exactly what you were looking for Radial BigShot™ ABY - True Bypass Switcher
-input (guitar)
-2 outputs (amp B, amp B), the problem there being that you no longer run stereo out of your delay. You'd put some effect(s) on EACH AMP after the ABY output. And the middle '180' switch is if you have phase cancellation issues, move the switch.

Guitar -> any effects you want to run in both amps -> ABY -> effects to amp A after output A, effects to amp B after output B

Is that what you were looking for?

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
So getting the Radial to reverse the polarity (insert your own Dr. Who joke here) might have been a waste then. Ok ill just try the stereo off the delay pedal then.

Thanks
I wouldn't consider it a complete waste. After all, one can't tell what phase issues might arise in the future, and its clearly not as if your rig is going to never change until your last strum on earth.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it is the Bigshot ABY. So basically i will get mono out of both amps, or ditch the radial if I dont have any polarity issues and i can run stereo.
You are correct I am sure in the future I will use it. I am just a little frustrated from not planning this properly. Guess that's half the fun.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
11,867 Posts
As mentioned, for best 'stereo'effect , take the two outputs from your echo or rotary sim right to the two amps. The more you physically separate the amps in the room, the wider the spatial effect.

I don't think that pedal's a waste, though. When you bypass the effect and return to mono, that's where you may notice a phase difference (primarily, your bass will suck or sound thin). You won't really notice the phase cancellations in stereo because of all the phasing that's going on anyways.

If you insert that ABY between the stereo pedal and one of the amps (using the B output of the ABY only), you can still flip phase of the one amp on the fly and get them in phase in mono. The same can be accomplished by changing the polarity of the speaker(s) in one of the amps, but that's not so much 'on the fly'.

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
I have a little Fender Sidekick SK-20. Nothing special, tonewise, but its two 8" speakers are each powered by their own amp, such that it can function like a tiny JC-120, when the chorus is engaged. One of the nice things it has going for it is that it has a stereo FX loop. That lets me send two different signals to each of the two amps/speakers. Not only is the stereo chorus nice, but if I patch in a phase-shift-only signal to one channel and clean to the other, I get a nice swirly phasing effect The effect is not quite as pronounced or head-spinning, given that the two 8" speakers are side by side and not spaced farther apart, but it IS a richer sound with the added spatial element.

True stereo effects are underutilized. In part because they tend to be wasted/lost in a club situation, and in part because many players don't want to lug two amps around, but also because a lot players don't know how to use them properly and how good they CAN sound. You will also note that not very many Youtube gear demos ever illustrate stereo effects.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, there are a couple more options above that I never thought of. Now I'll need to play better too make it sound good and that is the harder part lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just noticed this thread, working my way down the same path... including the Gilmour Yamaha RA-100 trick. I have a stereo 4x12 that I run with two YBA-3 amps. I am using a Boss CE-3 stereo chorus (made in taiwan) that splits/buffers the signal into stereo and then I run a Boss DD-2 and a Boss DD-3 as dual mono delays to each amp (maintaining the stereo spread of the chorus). This way the echoes on the right channel (chorus) modulate against each other and the left channels "dry" delay. It's an AWESOME sound! I also purchased the Radial Bigshot ABY box and use that on the right channel, inserted last after the Boss DD-2. I am using output"B" to provide the transformer isolation and I lift the ground if I hear any ground loop buzz. So IMHO your ABY box is still very much a handy piece of kit.

My question for anyone reading... are there any true stereo through ABY boxes out there on the market? I cannot find any.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks, that is the sound i am trying to get. He started that sound in 74 or so right through the wall, and according to gilmourish.com he has returned to that setup with the Hiwatts a few times. Nice suggestion on the Alembic, that was the first I have heard of that. Upon some research that might be overkill for a home setup LOL

While i love just hitting the gain and playing the hair metal, returning to his sounds is what I enjoy the most.

The price on those are ridiculous, and would be serious overkill in a house, so ill try the stereo setup, with a Leslie style pedal( i think ill go the the Boss rt-20 route) through one amp, EP3 Echoplex, and use my EBMM Axis to get as close as I can (got bored with strats)

Let me know how your ordeal goes, Ill take all the suggestions that I can use

Try Lehle pedals for the aby stereo maybe????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts