The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding installing a speaker!!!!
I have a 1x12 cab with solderless clips attached to the 1/4 input jack on the back of the cab. The solderless clips have no + or - markings just black & white wires.The black & white wires are connected (soldered) to the input jack
I am not sure how to connect the clips to the speakers regarding matching the + & - metal clips???
Is it safe to assume black is negative and white positive??..Does it matter????there are no markings on the input jack either, so, I am a little wary how to approach this!
Also, when I bought the new speaker it came with what appears to be gasket seals???semi circle strips I assume used to apply on the outer edge of the speaker when attaching to the cab...are the strips necessary???
This is my first attempt at installing a speaker, so to say I am clueless is an understatement...
Hoping for guidance...
The laughter starts.................................................Now!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
With a single speaker, it won't matter. If you plugged into a second cab, you could have phasing issues.

The signal (+) on a 1/4" plug is on the tip. You can see on the plug a black ring separating the tip from the rest of the plug.

Is the jack like the one on the left or on the right?

On the left: The signal will come out on the farthest lugs from the insertion point.

On the right: The signal will come out on the longer spring part. You should be able to visually follow it and see which lug it is attached to.

This makes sense to me but I have been doing this for 20 years. Does it make sense to you?

As for the gaskets, I don't think they matter so much with guitar. I would probably install them on hifi speakers though as you want as little coloration from the speaker as possible. The gasket will help seal the speaker to the cabinet and minimize vibrations between the speaker and cabinet. These minor colorations may or may not sound good with guitar and may also not even be noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Perfectly legitimate questions NorlinNorm, nothing to be shy about.
I would install the gaskets, as long as you have them. They will prevent any vibration (read buzz) appearing with time.
dcole got your answers for the connexions.

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
Most speakers come with gasket material already installed for back mounting the speaker. I always assumed the additional gaskets were provided for front mounting. I could be wrong, again. :)

Reactions: jb welder

·
Premium Member
18,778 Posts
Most speakers come with gasket material already installed for back mounting the speaker. I always assumed the additional gaskets were provided for front mounting. I could be wrong, again. :)
That was my understanding also.
Can the two of us be wrong, again.
The answer to that skill testing question is.....................................YES!

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
The purpose of speaker gaskets:
1) to make a good seal (more important for sealed/acoustric suspension and even bass reflex/ported cabs - almost a non-issue with open backs)
2) to reduce cabinet resonances by providing some shock absorption between the speaker frame (the thing shakes when the motor moves) and the cabinet baffle as was alluded to above.

That said the pressed paper gaskets on most speakers aint worth shit. With an open back (where most rear-mounting happens) it barely matters, but anything else (especially for bass and/or higher power applications) and I recommend ripping those off and replacing with cork gaskets. I have also seen foam gaskets and those are worse than paper since they compress to much and then you have direct rim to wood contact anyway. You can buy cork gaskets from Santon Audio if you're in the GTA, or from any number of speaker part suppliers online. I recommend prefab for front gaskets, but if you are front mounting the driver and need rear gaskets it's cheaper (but costs you more time) to just buy some 1/4" cork sheet (fronts will need to be thicker) and cut them out yourself (which is what I do) And yes, cork is better than foam as it has give but not too much give.

To that end I also recommend , not stuffing, but lining the inside of and non-open-back cab with some sort of wool or foam. Most are just bare wood, and that can be suboptimal as regards distortions (not the good kind) and resonances. If sealed and a little lean-sounding for your taste than by all means stuff the cab instead.

These are both easy mods that (as mentioned, especially for bass or high power use) can really make a cab shine.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 1x12 cab with solderless clips attached to the 1/4 input jack on the back of the cab. The solderless clips have no + or - markings just black & white wires.The black & white wires are connected (soldered) to the input jack
I am not sure how to connect the clips to the speakers regarding matching the + & - metal clips???
Is it safe to assume black is negative and white positive??..Does it matter????there are no markings on the input jack either, so, I am a little wary how to approach this!
Also, when I bought the new speaker it came with what appears to be gasket seals???semi circle strips I assume used to apply on the outer edge of the speaker when attaching to the cab...are the strips necessary???
This is my first attempt at installing a speaker, so to say I am clueless is an understatement...
Hoping for guidance...
The laughter starts.................................................Now![/QUOTEI

Here are pics of the input jack and clips.

Shutterfly

Shutterfly

Shutterfly

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With a single speaker, it won't matter. If you plugged into a second cab, you could have phasing issues.

The signal (+) on a 1/4" plug is on the tip. You can see on the plug a black ring separating the tip from the rest of the plug.

Is the jack like the one on the left or on the right?

On the left: The signal will come out on the farthest lugs from the insertion point.

On the right: The signal will come out on the longer spring part. You should be able to visually follow it and see which lug it is attached to.

This makes sense to me but I have been doing this for 20 years. Does it make sense to you?

As for the gaskets, I don't think they matter so much with guitar. I would probably install them on hifi speakers though as you want as little coloration from the speaker as possible. The gasket will help seal the speaker to the cabinet and minimize vibrations between the speaker and cabinet. These minor colorations may or may not sound good with guitar and may also not even be noticeable.
A few pics of the input jack and speaker clips without + or - markings.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
Black is +ve (tip). you can see how the white wire is connected to the inner tab that comes off the inner ring of the jack, which is jack sleeve - ground or -ve. You might want to trim the fray around that positive terminal - can't be sure from the pic but looks like some of them could touch ground.

·
Premium Member
18,778 Posts
I would suggest that you consider trimming the wires projecting on the "inside" of the black wire connection to the jack. Trim them as close to the solder as possible. If they touch the sleeve of the plug it will be a direct short to ground.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hoping for guidance...
The laughter starts.................................................Now!
I dont believe it, I actually installed a speaker into a cab...Wow, I really want to thank all forum members for their help truly a wonderful resource!!!

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I'd agree with davetcan and greco, aftermarket speakers usually come with a gasket on either the front or back and often include some peel&stick gasket material if you need to mount the other way.

The solder on the jack is a little iffy. There should be enough heat applied for the solder to tin the wire and come through to the other side of the lug. The black wire in that one pic, you wouldn't even know it was soldered if you didn't see the other side of the lug where the solder is.
https://www.guitarscanada.com/index.php?attachments/20171121_230454-jpg.143113/

·
Premium Member
18,778 Posts
The solder on the jack is a little iffy. There should be enough heat applied for the solder to tin the wire and come through to the other side of the lug. The black wire in that one pic, you wouldn't even know it was soldered....
@jb welder is making an excellent point/suggestion.
I always learn from reading his posts.

It would be better to do both of the solder joints on the jack over again, rather than just trimming the "whiskers" on the black wire, as I had suggested previously.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@jb welder is making an excellent point/suggestion.
I always learn from reading his posts.

It would be better to do both of the solder joints on the jack over again, rather than just trimming the "whiskers" on the black wire, as I had suggested previously.
Resoldered and ready for some rock n roll.....task accomplished!!!
Thanks guys for all the help
Really dig these WGS ET65's...hats off to Next Gen!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts