The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a bit of a rare bird. The TLC-65 is pretty hard find now, and 1985 was a bit of a unique year in that (I believe) it was the only one with the diamond headstock inlay design seen on this guitar. What makes this one even more rare is the all-gold finish, and the condition that it is in. I have never seen another one like it. There is some light play wear and small marks here and there, a couple of very small headstock dings, and a couple of dimples on the edge of the lower bout, but otherwise very clean. There is some very subtle milkiness in the finish over the headstock overlay, which I did not even notice for a long time, but it is there. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow. These guitars were all-mahogany, makes both makes it lighter (8 lbs 7 ounces) and lends a slightly different feel to the attack and overall tone of the guitar. Dyed rosewood board; frets in really great shape, almost no wear. Fret-edge binding, nicely done block inlays. The all-gold finish is simply stunning, and the multi-layer binding is very well done. I put in a Vineham Whiskey Burner in the bridge with an A4 magnet, and the neck is a Vineham Sweet V59 (also A4). The harness has CTS 500K pots with vintage braided wire, and Vitamin Q PIO caps. One tone pot is a Bourns with push-pull, so the option to add splitting down the line is there should anyone want to. I love the even delivery of the A4 mags, and the pickups just rock in this guitar. I have the original harness, knobs, and pointers. The original gold covers are on the Vineham pups. The neck is dead straight and the action can go very low. Neck measures .83" at the first fret with definite shoulders, so it doesn't feel small to me.

As seen in the pics, there are no knobs on the guitar right now. I ordered new gold reflector top hats, but I'm not happy with the way they fit so I was going to replace them. The black original knobs are 6mm and do not fit. It should be noted that the Bourns pot shaft is coarse-spline and the CTS are fine, so it pretty much means ordering two sets of knobs if you don't have a coarse one handy. Also not sure what I have for cases: I will have to have a look tomorrow and update the thread.

Anyone looking for a lighter, and very unique LP Custom type from the golden age of MIJ guitars would be happy here I think. I just snapped a few pics before it got dark, but I can document anything if requested. Asking $1900 shipped.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument White

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar White Product String instrument

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump with a price drop! Whole lotta unique custom here for under $2K.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you looking to trade up or down? Cheers

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Please do telll Vally
No intention of high jacking this but, lol. I have owned standard Les Paul’s and traditional but could not bond with them. They didn’t feel right, didn’t balance when hung (on me)and could not get use to the neck. I’ve tried 50’s and 60’s neck shapes, no luck, so I gave up. Now, my obsession with Goldtop’s grew more and more and I took the gamble to try a Tokai. This thing felt right, the neck was right, it balanced perfectly, just what I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No intention of high jacking this but, lol. I have owned standard Les Paul’s and traditional but could not bond with them. They didn’t feel right, didn’t balance when hung (on me)and could not get use to the neck. I’ve tried 50’s and 60’s neck shapes, no luck, so I gave up. Now, my obsession with Goldtop’s grew more and more and I took the gamble to try a Tokai. This thing felt right, the neck was right, it balanced perfectly, just what I was looking for.
My experience has been similar. I've owned a few of the Tokai Premium series LP types, and in my opinion they've just been much better than the Gibson fare that have passed through my hands. Gibson makes some great guitars, but it seems like it's harder to find a really good one. The high-end MIJ stuff doesn't seem to get a lot of traction in the North American market though. What I've also concluded though is that the older MIJ stuff often just seems to have something extra-special. Don't know why that is, older wood or something, but so far it's been my consistent experience with dozens of guitars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts