The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From Guitar Crazy, and for only $1750 + shipping. It got stuck in customs over the weekend but the wait was worth it. It's a pretty nice guitar, in feel and looks.

The only cosmetic issue, besides the typical dings here and there, is one of the ferrules caused some finish, and possibly wood, damage/lifting when it looks like some one tried to remove one.

The other main thing with the guitar was a not so tight neck joint, which I expected from what I've read, but I easily fixed that with two tiny wooden wedges that keep it from moving.

The pickups are not microphonic, and sound GREAT through my '59 Champ. The neck is big and reminiscent of the neck on my '58 Musicmaster and I really like it. A tad heavy at 9.4lbs, though.

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
There was one at 12th Fret a few weeks ago. I saw this older strat hanging there and I went to lift it off the wall hanger. It came close to making a sandwich of hand between the strat and the amp below. I said, 'Gawd what is this, a '79?!' I looked at the sticker on the back of the stock,... '79. Didn't try it out as it was heavier than an LP. Picked one up about two years ago too - heavier than hell.

Looks a lot better in white than black though.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
VERY, VERY nice plank indeed. You must be one proud camper!!

How many pieces in the body? Looks like one (to my uneducated eyes) in the pics. Did they use multiple pieces in the bodies in 1979?

ENJOY...you lucky dogbone, you. (meant in the nicest way)

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I had one of these 79's that weighed a ton as well. Mine was translucent red over an ash body. Looked amazing and had a great neck, but I couldn't get a decent tone out of it even with pick-up changes.

Bought it used for $400.00 in the mid 80's and sold for $1400.00 in the early nineties, so can't complain.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
LOL - I was in Portland on holiday the day you bought that. I was in the store talking to the owner about it and he was telling me how he had just sold it to some dude in Canada. I even offered to "deliver" it for him... it was just going to go on a short detour to my place for a while :)

Nice guitar - 70's strat, hardtail, maple neck... that's everything that I want out of a strat!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL - I was in Portland on holiday the day you bought that. I was in the store talking to the owner about it and he was telling me how he had just sold it to some dude in Canada. I even offered to "deliver" it for him... it was just going to go on a short detour to my place for a while :)

Nice guitar - 70's strat, hardtail, maple neck... that's everything that I want out of a strat!
The day I phoned to pay for it after having talked to him earlier in the week he mentioned someone had just come in a asked about it. :D

I should mention that I have discovered the guitar to be dated to very early 1980.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
i do hope you did'nt take the owner's word on the year. from 78 to 82 serial numbers alone could not be trusted. you need to check the Pup, neck, sn and the tone's ID. LOTS of what people think as been 79's end-up been a 80 or 81 realy. never the less, it does look awsome.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes, I now know about Fender's use of decals and parts from different years. I have since dated it to very early 1980 by the neck stamp. I even did a bunch of research and made up a website to help other people positively date their late 1970's Strats.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
MATT.."ahahah..man, this the site i used to identified a few alredy..:)....VERY usefull realy. i've been trying to find a 70's strat for a while but with no luck so far, they are very rare in Quebec province it seems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts