The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently came across this and thought some would enjoy (except perhaps DH....LOL):

Scenario: Jack goes qual hunting before school, pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in the truck's gun rack.

1977-Vice principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.

2007-School goes into lockdown, the RCMP are called. Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors are called in to assist traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1977-Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2007-Police are called, SWAT team arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. They are charged with assualt and both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffery won't sit still in class, disrupts the other students.

1977- Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given a good paddling. He returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt the class again.

2007- Jeffery is given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. tested for ADD. School gets extra Provintial funding because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1977- Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2007- Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. Regional psychologist tells Bill's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some Aspirin to school.

1977- Mark shares Aspirin with the school principal out on the smoking dock.

2007- Police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1977- Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes on to college.

2007- Pedro's cause is taken up by the local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Canadian Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against the Provincial school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is banned from the core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover Canada Day firecrackers, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.

1977- Ants die.

2007- Canadian Firearms Centre and the RCMP are called and Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. CSIS investigates parents; siblings are removed from the home, computors are confiscated, and Johnn's Dad goes on the terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during recess and scrapes his knees. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1977- Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.

2007- Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in federal prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.

and:
Scenario: Johnny wants a guitar.

1977- Johnny buys a used 1962 Gibson LP for $850.00. Sells it in 2007 for $25,000.00 on e-bay.

2007- Johnny buys a 2007 '62 reissue Gibson LP for $4,500.00 and finds one on e-bay used the next week for $850.00.

cheers
RIFF

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I can't recall but was the media trying to scare everyone in '77.

Is there a correlation there?

C

·
0 Posts
"Not really funny."
+1!

I'll take 2007 over 1977 any day of the week

I'd prefer to see 2777!

·
Registered
319 Posts
C'mon guys, it's good for a laugh. Pretty good Riff Wrath.

'77 was a lot more wholesome than today. Kids could play outside and be adventurers and explore their neighbourhood without being afraid of being abducted. I did not know a single person back then with peanut allergy. Disco was at its peak :banana: :smile:

Here's one:

1977: Steve is busting his hump delivering newspapers and flyers everyday for 5 bucks a week

2007: Steve won't take a summer job under 25 bucks an hour. His parents deliver newspapers and flyers for extra money...:smile:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I thought it was hilarious. I was just commenting on how afraid and detached everyone is.

I stopped at the grocery store last night and made a mental note of something: From my car to the cashier I saw maybe around 50 people - over half of whom were either staring at their cells phones (texting) or talking on them. Everyone seemed to be in their own little world, oblivious to the world around them. No more idle chit chat in the check out line. Not so in 77.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Riff you make my day. I'm not that old (sorry guys) but I came from the country and for my the city look like 2007 and the country like 1977. Maybe it's an utopia but to me this world need to change a little bit to be perfect. Maybe without money...
probably why I'm into litterature and music, it's an escape!

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
A lot of silly assumptions and exaggerations. Not really funny.

...just sounds like more conservative whining about how much better things were back when we were less enightened.

i am a huge fan of comedy and humour, so i have no problem giving this two thumbs down.

-dh

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, I didn't write the thing, just sharing. (well, I did do the last one LOL)
maybe this should have gone into the ploitics thread...LOL
I enjoyed it.I was born in 1950. perhaps the 1977 comparison should have read 1960?
cheers
RIFF

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Hey, I didn't write the thing, just sharing. (well, I did do the last one LOL)
maybe this should have gone into the ploitics thread...LOL
I enjoyed it.I was born in 1950. perhaps the 1977 comparison should have read 1960?
cheers
RIFF

...there's a lot i do miss about the past...those old cartoons, good quality denim, craftsmanship, communists under every bed, the don messer show, women in nylons...

geez, dude, yer almost as old as i am!

:eek:

-dh

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
...there's a lot i do miss about the past...those old cartoons, good quality denim, craftsmanship, communists under every bed, the don messer show, women in nylons...

geez, dude, yer almost as old as i am!

:eek:

-dh
Rocky and Bullwinkle? Roger Ramjet? Beany and Cecil?

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the post. I enjoyed it.

I grew up in those days of only having three TV channels with nothing worth watching,

Unlike today when we have 100's of TV channels, with ......

Those were the days when I'd buy pre CBS Teles and Strats for around $150, and sell them to make a $50 profit, and be so proud of my accomplishment.
(True story, so true it hurts)

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
thanks riff- i liked it, much truth there. and i found it funny, ignore the naysayers.

steeler- i grew up in the country, we only got cbc-
i was 24 years old when i first saw cable tv-was in 1994- i met a girl and she had cable, with the movie channel and all- i remember how stunned i was, sitting on the couch for days unable to sleep flipping thru channels.

david henman- i miss nylons too- and dresses and skirts and high heels. i guess they still wear em, just not when im around.

·
Registered
83 Posts
1977 - Montreal Canadiens dominate hockey. Lafleur, Shutt, Lemaire, Robinson, Dryden destroy everyone on their way to the Stanley Cup, and the ensuing dynasty. Montreal Forum is hockey's shrine.

2007 - Montreal Canadiens struggle for the umpteenth year. Can't even think of a single player other than Saku Koivu. Do they even have a single Francophone player? Montreal Forum is a cineplex.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
1977 - Montreal Canadiens dominate hockey. Lafleur, Shutt, Lemaire, Robinson, Dryden destroy everyone on their way to the Stanley Cup, and the ensuing dynasty. Montreal Forum is hockey's shrine.

2007 - Montreal Canadiens struggle for the umpteenth year. Can't even think of a single player other than Saku Koivu. Do they even have a single Francophone player? Montreal Forum is a cineplex.
bah- try bieng a leafs fan
i loved lafleur- interview between periods he was smoking lol- you dont see that anymore

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Rocky and Bullwinkle? Roger Ramjet? Beany and Cecil?

:food-smiley-004:
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Ram-jets!!!!

It's Roger Ramjet, buzzum-click !!!

"I'll just take a proton energy pill and take care of it the good old amercian way!"

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
ahh i knew summthing like that would happen- i dont make an even reasonable facsimile of a woman larry-i barely pass for a modern human
my most flattering pic is this-

although you cant see the frilly underthings- they probbly arent there in yur mind are they?(anyways i hope not- damm)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts