The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will simply cut and paste what I posted on both the MyLesPaul and Tokai forums. It was quite a score - old '95 Squier Champ 15 amp, included. Not a bad little amp, for the home! Anyone with more info, and/or whom can answer the questions I ask about this guitar - all help is appreciated.

"Someone over at the MyLesPaul forum told me to post here. I've cut and pasted my original "first post" on that site, and am trying to determine the value of this guitar. I have no intention of selling. Simply believe, for CDN$50.00, I stumbled upon something precious! I am very curious as well who made Goya electrics, for what appears to be the Canadian market, and perhaps the UK market. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

"Picked one of these up for CDN$50.00 last night. Original catalogue link below;

Vintage Goya Guitars

"Set neck, a few dings, but everything appears original, from the tuners to the pickups. It`s made in Japan, I`ve read by the same factory as Kasuga, though that may not be accurate. The inlay is quite nice. She sounds great - albeit through the Squier Champ practice amp that came with it (they also threw in a 1969 Yamaha G50A classical, for free, as they were moving!) Having switched to acoustic when I got married, I haven`t had an electric since my old Silvertone hollowbody w/the Bigbsy from 1964 - a pawn shop find sold some time ago. This Goya is heavy, but it sounds fantastic - any string recommendations? I plan on getting it set up soon."

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Great score. I had a chance to buy a Goya Les Paul copy (standard sunburst) from that era back in the early 80's. I was blown away by the quality and kicked myself for years after for not buying it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great score. I had a chance to buy a Goya Les Paul copy (standard sunburst) from that era back in the early 80's. I was blown away by the quality and kicked myself for years after for not buying it.
Yes, I was fortunate! It's got it's dings, but is sounds great, for many different styles. I plan on a pro setup this week. I'm more an acoustic guy - my son's having some fun w/the Goya! But I am, too.

Anyone else on the forum have/ever had a Goya electric/Goya LP Copy - or played one??

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not an LP copy, but I came across a used Goya copy of a Gibson ES 175 back in the 80's in a second hand store on Vancouver Island. I've never been an archtop guy but it was cool and at a reasonable price. The big surprise was that my wife said "you should buy it". I nearly threw my shoulder out reaching for my wallet! It's behind the SG and Les Paul in my avatar, however, after a few attempts to work it into a set with my "alt/rock" band at the time it just wasn't me. It sat in a closet for a few years until I showed it to another guitar fanatic that lived close by. He flipped right out and said he had to have it. He had a 68' Fender Mustang he didn't like and insisted we trade, straight across. I suggested he was getting a bit of a raw deal because I knew the Fender would go up in value but had my doubts the Goya would but he wouldn't take no for an answer. It was a very well made instrument, and in mint condition.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not an LP copy, but I came across a used Goya copy of a Gibson ES 175 back in the 80's in a second hand store on Vancouver Island. I've never been an archtop guy but it was cool and at a reasonable price. The big surprise was that my wife said "you should buy it". I nearly threw my shoulder out reaching for my wallet! It's behind the SG and Les Paul in my avatar, however, after a few attempts to work it into a set with my "alt/rock" band at the time it just wasn't me. It sat in a closet for a few years until I showed it to another guitar fanatic that lived close by. He flipped right out and said he had to have it. He had a 68' Fender Mustang he didn't like and insisted we trade, straight across. I suggested he was getting a bit of a raw deal because I knew the Fender would go up in value but had my doubts the Goya would but he wouldn't take no for an answer. It was a very well made instrument, and in mint condition.
Looks like the same headstock as mine, though I think the fact mine's not a bolt-on lands it in the late 70s. The catalogue page seems to confirm the same. I read they may have been made by Matsumoku.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts