The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to how I can eliminate this constant ticking sound coming out of my amp.
I recently purchased an old Traynor ygm2 combo. It has tremelo but no reverb. It seems that after fiddling around inside it a bit an annoying ticking sound has begun. A couple posts i've seen in other forums mentioned that it could be due to inductance because some wire somewhete is sitting too close to another. Others stated that changing the filtet caps might correct this. I will note that when I crank the bass or treble the sound seems to disappear but that is of course not a very audibly appealing way to fix it.
The fiddling about inside I did is what is in these two videos

They are two pretty basic modifications but the sound seemed to start right after the mod from the first video.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
14,733 Posts
Can't help you if it's because of the mods, but, do you have a pedal hooked up to turn the trem off and on? With the pedal hooked up and the trem turned off does the ticking go away?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't help you if it's because of the mods, but, do you have a pedal hooked up to turn the trem off and on? With the pedal hooked up and the trem turned off does the ticking go away?
No I don't have a foot switch for it. Basically I just turn up the speed and intensity from zero to hear it. I can try and get a switch or make one to test with tough.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
By bypass I assume you mean solder the cap back in? I'll give that a try and see what happens.
Thanks!
My assumption is that the problem may have come with the mod, trying without the mod will prove this assumption either right or wrong.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Since your amp has a trem circuit, I suspect that what you might be hearing is the oscillation of the trem circuit bleeding into the output stage of the amp. The trem connects to the output at two points, the middle filter cap, and a pair of 220k resistors somewhere on the circuit board in the vicinity of the output tubes. On a Traynor, the trem is "normally on" (as opposed to my Super Reverb's "normally off") until the single wire from the footswitch grounds pin 2 on V3 (the 12ax7 responsible for the trem). To turn the trem "off" with no footswitch connected, you'd just keep the speed and intensity pots at zero. If either of those pots were to leak signal -- or if any of your mods affected the 5 capacitors related to the trem, directly or indirectly -- two .01uF, a .02uF, a 200ohm, and a 25uF/ 25V (probably electrolytic) -- the trem may be allowed to leak a tiny bit of signal, which might sound like the ticking you are hearing. Replacing the electrolytics in the amp, reversing your cap mods, and/ or cleaning or replacing the trem pots may all help in solving the problem.

http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/661128_YGM2.gif

·
Premium Member
12,581 Posts
I think your amp may actually be a bomb. But I can help you out. Very carefully - VERY CAREFULLY - pack it in to a box and send it to me. I will diffuse it for you.

Eventually. :D

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Agree with WCGill about lead dress, probably a wire you moved and did not return to it's original position. They can be very touchy about this. Some of the silverface Fender's are quite prone to lead dress issues.
The wires going to the speed and intensity pots would be good suspects. Take a picture now for reference before you start moving things. You can also search google images for "chassis gut shots" for your model and you may find some stock units you can compare to.

·
Premium Member
5,920 Posts
I had a ticking with my amp. Turned out to be wifi interference.
I think I had that issue the other day. Had my big amp beside my smart TV and had a low volume tick. Made a good metronome for some slow blues.

My amp doesn't have tremolo and it was temporary, so I'm thinking it may have been an interference issue

·
Registered
275 Posts
Pat has another video that addresses this issue here.

Reactions: Atomic'76

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've seen this happen in ygm's. I will reiterate what was said earlier and put another vote in favour of lead dress and filter caps. The dynamite log filter caps are probably past their prime. As well the lead dress in and around those filter caps can be finicky. I dealt with a ygm that was still ticking after a recap and after doing some chopsticking I was able to isolate it to the lead dress around the filter cap closest to the pt. Moving those wires around and fixing them in place did the trick.

·
Registered
330 Posts
A buddy of mine had a similar issue with an old Fender amp (I don't recall the model) and it was the tremelo causing the problem...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd bet it's a lead dress issue. It could be a filter cap issue as well. If you want those caps to last, play often!
New filter caps are in the mail!
I'm hoping that fixes it as well as the flubbiness that happens when I crank it up.
Amp sounds like it is trying to breathe through a straw sometimes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts