The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my '70 Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop. It was my only electric guitar for many years so, as you can see, it got played alot. It has a few regrettable mods that were done back when I was young and stupid (now I'm old and stupid) and has suffered a headstock break which fortunately didn't involve the neck.

It had a refret in the late 70's around the same time the pick-up and bridge were changed, otherwise its mostly original. My father bought me this guitar in 1971 a couple of months before my 17th birthday, so it's with me for life.

If this guitar could talk I'd need a lawyer!

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Hey, it's unique. Besides, I'm told the mini makes a better neck pup than bridge. At least you didn't sand it down and paint it fluorescent orange way back then,.... like I did with my Fender Mustang.:frown:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Beautiful Goldtop Lester! Great photos. I'll have to get some pics of mine up. That is a wonderful looking instrument. All the bumps, scratches came from you. It is truly a part of yourself, not some custom shop relic.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Lester, needless to say that I dig the guitar, but what I'm even more impressed with is the photography! :eek: I'm guessing that to get the solid black background you may have used photoshop to paint the entire area surrounding the guitar, but how did you manage to get so close to the edge of the guitar AND get it to be so clean? I've seen some really sloppy work when it comes to getting that nice sharp edge around the guitars (have you SEEN the annual guitar price guides on the magazine stands? YECH!)

So let's hear it, what's your secret? :tongue: I didn't mean to hijack the thread, you could PM me if you'd like, I'd be real interested to hear from you. :rockon:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cross said:
Lester, needless to say that I dig the guitar, but what I'm even more impressed with is the photography! :eek: I'm guessing that to get the solid black background you may have used photoshop to paint the entire area surrounding the guitar, but how did you manage to get so close to the edge of the guitar AND get it to be so clean? I've seen some really sloppy work when it comes to getting that nice sharp edge around the guitars (have you SEEN the annual guitar price guides on the magazine stands? YECH!)

So let's hear it, what's your secret? :tongue: I didn't mean to hijack the thread, you could PM me if you'd like, I'd be real interested to hear from you. :rockon:
I am a photographer/darkroom technician which nowadays means photoshop flunkie, so yes, I blackened the background. The trick is to put a black layer beneath the photo layer with a mask on it and tediously paint it in manually. The quick selection tools don't do the best job unless the background is contrasting with the guitar all around. I'll PM a more detailed instruction.
:rockon:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The checking on that is just awesome, what a great guitar.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dwagar said:
I actually witnessed the checking event. It happened the first or second winter I had it. It had spent the night in a van after a gig. The next morning I brought it into the motel room and opened the case. I saw and heard it happen. A faint tinkling/crackling sound and it was over in 2 or 3 seconds, top to bottom, front and back. I was heartbroken until people told me "they all do that".

You can imagine the kick I get out of hearing about people trying to check their guitars with razor blades. That makes a crack, but this was initially caused by compression. If you think about it, the finish wants to expand when heated but it can't because it's attached to the wood, so it has to expand inwardly, causing compression lines. At first it's completely smooth to the touch. Eventually, as the finish expands and contracts, ridges form along the checking lines and as those ridges wear down it forms a crack at the top of the ridge. When you run your finger over this guitar you feel ridges, not cracks. Some have not cracked and are still clean so they are still invisible from some angles.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Lester B. Flat said:
I actually witnessed the checking event. It happened the first or second winter I had it. It had spent the night in a van after a gig. The next morning I brought it into the motel room and opened the case. I saw and heard it happen. A faint tinkling/crackling sound and it was over in 2 or 3 seconds, top to bottom, front and back. I was heartbroken until people told me "they all do that".
The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine with his Rickenbacker 4001 bass while on tour.

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
dwagar said:
I was just about to post the same thing. It's a great looking guitar.

I remember the first time the nitro finish on my 1981 Dean checked too. It was a similar situation. It was in the car a little too long in the cold weather.

·
Registered
635 Posts
torndownunit said:
It was in the car a little too long in the cold weather.
Just so you know, it's not the cold that does it. It's opening the case to expose the cold guitar to warm air. That's why you should always let your guitar sit in its case, closed, until it warms up to room temp before you try to take it out if it's been in the cold.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Amazing looking guitar - definitely a vintage. Really nice aging. Unfortunate about the headstock, but it almost adds to the appeal in a way - shows the war wounds! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to agree the checking on the guitar is quite nice and the headstock repair was done by an extremely talented , good-looking , considerate and caring old man who falls down allot !!!!!!!!!!!!! To bad it outweighs you ! :banana:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Four play said:
I have to agree the checking on the guitar is quite nice and the headstock repair was done by an extremely talented , good-looking , considerate and caring old man who falls down allot !!!!!!!!!!!!! To bad it outweighs you ! :banana:
Ha Ha! It's about time you got here. By the way, the guitar is now worn enough that I outweigh it.
:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is that a Dimarzio in the bridge position? I've got the old Dual Sound in the bridge position on my 74 and a Super Distortion at the neck position. Wish I had a digital camera otherwise I'd post a pic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts