The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got one of these in a trade. It's 1970 hagstrom Viking with the matching red fender style headstock and 2 humbuckers. I'd post pics but for some reason it's a hassle now to post free pics. It's translucent red with a matching headstock.

It's super cool and feels and sounds like a es335. Anyone have one of these out there? What's the value. The model I have seems different than the 70's hagstrom I see. I think it's a transition year, still keeping the fender headstock but using humbuckers. Any input will help.

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
There was one listed on Reverb a few months ago for $1300.00 CAD.

·
Premium Member
4,204 Posts
Had one didn't like it. Sold it to a guy in England about twelve years ago for $600 plus$200 shipping. It was in very rough shape cosmetically. And it was a chore to play.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really, $1300, not bad. After I cleaned the fretboard and polished the frets, a good setup this one plays perfect. Super low action and a perfectly straight neck. It's actually really nice to play. Was just gonna trade it off since I got this and a custom shop tele in a trade deal. Was going to trade the hagstrom for a American vintage strat but I might keep the hagstrom.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not certain it is a 1970. I was told it was. 1970-72 was a transitional year where they were switching from the single coils and fender headstock. This one has the humbuckers plus the fender headstock. If I could post pics I would show you. Lots of checking on this one but it is all original with the original hard case.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm not certain it is a 1970. I was told it was. 1970-72 was a transitional year where they were switching from the single coils and fender headstock. This one has the humbuckers plus the fender headstock. If I could post pics I would show you. Lots of checking on this one but it is all original with the original hard case.
Post its serial number and I'll look it up and tell you when it was made. Viking-II guitars have the 3+3 headstock and humbuckers. You might have a Viking-I that's been modified with humbuckers.

TD

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
731690 is the serial #. If I could post pics that would be awesome. All the free sites will not work. It was not modified for humbuckers it came them stock.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The Hagstrom production records shows that run 731 produced a total of 1000 "Viking I" guitars in 1968 and yours was the 690th made in that run. Yours is obviously a transition model where they had started to install humbuckers in place of the single coils but hadn't made the change over from the Fender style straight 6 headstock to the 3+3 bound headstock with the fancy tuners that were on the Viking 1-N (AKA: Viking II).

Enjoy.

TD

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Red Text Font String instrument Bowed string instrument
Ok cool, so it could be a 68 or 69? Unless they pumped out 1000 of these before the change. I did find another one for sale(identical to mine) on a Hagstom info website stating it's a 1970 with serial #791009. So that would be batch 791 and the 9th of the run. Still strange to date a guitar that way.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Unless you have the Hagstrom production book the serial number means nothing. Sure the first 3 digits identify the production run and the last 3 (sometimes 4) digits represent the sequence where that particular instrument was made in that production run. The book identifies the year, model and quantity of each production run. Run 791 commenced in 1970 and concluded in 1972 making a total of 200 Viking 1's. For sure that particular Viking 1 was made in 1970 seeing it was the 9th one made in the run. 791 was also the last run of Viking 1 guitars, the Viking 1-N took over from there.

The book identifies your guitar as being made in 1968.

TD

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah it would be nice to have the book but I don't think I'll be seeing to many hagstrom sin my lifetime. Thanks for clearing up the year for me, really appreciate it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Post its serial number and I'll look it up and tell you when it was made. Viking-II guitars have the 3+3 headstock and humbuckers. You might have a Viking-I that's been modified with humbuckers.

TD
Hi TD, I have a Viking I would like to date if you can help.

#G12040736

Thanks in advance for your help, I picked it up at a rummage sale and curious about value.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.