The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1968 Melody Maker 12 (Should i buy???) only 550

ADDED DETAILED PICS END OF PAGE 1 AND PAGE 2

I found this 1968 Gibson Melody Maker 12, with alot of unoriginal parts, but it sells at 550. Is it still worth a purchase, for collection?

pic:

Bridge pickup changed to a dimarzio, neck pickup is original, Shaller tuners. Original knobs,

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
As long as the neck is true, it's worth it for the old wood alone. Trust me. Great deal, great value. I had a '61 melody maker that had many changes that I just sold for $1100. Great guitar, but i needed the cash and it needed a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
And it's 12 string!!! How cool is that. Swap the pickup out for something with a really low output and jangle away.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright thank you for your input lowwatt, i'll wait for a few more comments, and i'll make my decision.

·
Premium Member
11,098 Posts
Buy it. At least you'll have one cool electric 12 string and be among the very very few owners of a Melody Maker 12.

The Blue Book prices it between $300 and $800US depending on condition, plus 35% for sparkling burgundy finish (yours maybe?).

Buy it.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it's sparkley, he sent me some zoomed in pictures, i think i'll buy it :) Always wanted to try a 12 string, also.

Thanks for your input, guys.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
LOVE IT !!!!!
Buy it . Although it has some changed parts it is still all mostly there and will give you a lot of enjoyment. Plus......it is dead cool.

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
wow, what a great find! Sure hope you snagged it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today he brought it over so i could see it, and it looks a hundred times better in person! I was really dazzled by the stunning good looks of this guitar.

·
Premium Member
13,091 Posts
Today he brought it over so i could see it, and it looks a hundred times better in person! I was really dazzled by the stunning good looks of this guitar.
What did it play like?????

·
Premium Member
11,098 Posts
I'm jealous. A friend has a Ricky 12 string which I like. Too bad there aren't more second hand electric 12s around.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What did it play like?????
Honestly i was really impressed, it felt so different than today's Gibsons, but in a good way. And the very twangy vintage sound from the neck pickup really gave it a cool Beatles kind of sound

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Bluezombie. Nice find and a rare beast as well. I believe that guitar is probably early 1970. There is a Gibson book that states the tweve string was introduced in '70 and the 91xxxx serial number seems to confirm that, as its very close to my '70 Les Paul serial number.
Ah okay, thanks for the clarification on that :) :smilie_flagge17:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts