The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

i have been watching this guitar since it was first posted, it's also on reverb. It's been listed for sale since late march or early april. The owner doesn't play and can't answer any questions about it. I'm new to the vintage world and am looking to make my first big ticket purchase. To be honest, i'd rather buy from a reputable store like Folkway music but any time they have something i want, everyone else wants it too and it gets put on hold or sells immediately.

I don't even know where to start... my intuition tells me that if the guitar has been in its case forever and has never been played and is in such immaculate cosmetic condition then there is nothing wrong with it that can't be adjusted with a thorough setup or some contact cleaner. But shouldn't i be concerned about anything structural? its easy to verify if its never been broken or repairs at the headstock or heel, especially considering the shape its in.

Again, just reaching out some insight. It's a lot of money, he likely won't budge below $10k but this guitar checks a lot of the boxes ive been seeking for a long time now.

thanks!

· Premium Member
5,749 Posts
Seems like a whole lotta money for an SG (like double). And "original strings" smells like bullshit to me. I'd find out where the guy lives, and never go there.

Neck joints are weak on these.

Reactions: Kenmac

· Registered
779 Posts
I don't know much about vintage guitars either, like exactly what to look at on such-and-such model, but it looks almost too good to be true, although possible. The aging on the machine heads looks real, but I was expecting the pickup covers to suffer the same tarnishing, yet they look new. Maybe I'm wrong.

If I were seriously interested, I'd ask the owner (who isn't a player) to take the pickguard off in his presence, and look at the inside and KNOW what to look for. There are websites out there that discuss SGs.

I noticed the seller is also selling a Vintage Mustang and a new Boss Mustang. Wow.

· Premium Member
5,749 Posts
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Screenshot

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That’s an absurd amount of money for a 67 SG original or not. If you are gonna jump into the vintage market your money can take you a lot farther than that .
go on…. I’ve seen slightly late 1960s SGs without an original case go for in around $7k. I would have thought this instrument was worth negotiating down to $9k or $10k but based on this thread lol it seems like a horrible idea hehe

· Premium Member
18,225 Posts
the seller is in Burlington so it’s probably easier for him to go to Waterloo. I live in Toronto and I can’t even get to the 12th fret lol
Maybe feel him out by sending this link (from my post #3) and ask him to justify his pricing?

· Premium Member
5,749 Posts
I want to know who buys a guitar and sits on it for 24 years who doesn't play. Something doesn't add up here.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe feel him out by sending this link (from my post #3) and ask him to justify his pricing?
I sent this to him and asked him if the price was negotiable and like a bat out of hell he just messaged me back all offended saying “I’ve seen SGs of this vintage sell in shops for up to $20,000 to people who can afford them and want them… this guitar has never been taken apart and it will remain that way as long as I’m the owner. It’s in a humidity controlled Environment because I have a $100,000 Steinway” lol even if his initial story is true, he just seems like such a fucking douche bag who doesn’t know the different between a 1963 SG and a 1967 SG

· Premium Member
5,749 Posts
Seems like a whole lotta money for an SG (like double). And "original strings" smells like bullshit to me. I'd find out where the guy lives, and never go there.

Neck joints are weak on these.
Smelled that one coming a mile away.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.