The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you’re looking for a 60s SG that’s been modded so it now has a 60s neck profile, here’s your chance.
I assumed that 60s Gibsons came with 60s neck profiles but that’s just me I guess.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
That era of SG has a narrow 1 9/16" nut width and tends to be thin towards the nut with an extreme taper (it gets surprisingly thick as you move up but remains narrow). Last year I sold a killer sounding '70 SG Std. that I got from @numb41 because I couldn't bond with that neck profile. FWIW ~10 yrs. ago a '67 SG Jr. with the same neck profile was mine for a while.

From the description I'm assuming this one has been sanded down towards the upper frets so the neck is narrow & skinny. The Gibson "slim 60s" neck profile referred to in the ad is wide & flat, nothing at all like the broomsticks on the late '60s/early '70s SGs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've always found those neck profiles a little odd. From skinny to baseball bat.
It may not be a bad mod and make the guitar more playable to someone but it's certainly not reflected in the asking price.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
with that work done to the neck he’s asking about 2.5-3x too much money
The sanded neck AND the less desirable early-Norlin batwing pickguard, I might add. These can be nice players that sound good if you find the neck agreeable, but they are far from the most collectable or desirable SG's.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The worst neck contour IMO. Even all original, they're far to thin. They also have the undesireable 14 degree headstock angle.
This neck contour does work very well for slide. In fact, it's Gary Rossington's choice for exactly that (I know his former guitar tech).

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
This neck contour does work very well for slide. In fact, it's Gary Rossington's choice for exactly that (I know his former guitar tech).
That's strange as I've only ever seen him use a '61 SG or his signature '61 reissue which is a completely different neck contour than a '67.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts