The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
I wouldn't say I hate fuzz, but I do not see the fascination, nay .... obsession, some people have to it or for it.

Yea, I have a fuzz pedal or two, and I may use one on a song or two. But 20 fuzz pedals? Really? Five or six on the same board? Really? Do any of those people ever play without a fuzz turned on? Not something I would want to hear - Satisfaction, Helter Skelter and few other songs on a continuous loop. But, as always, YMMVBMAM.

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
There are a bazillion ways to corrupt the integrity of an audio signal. So the sheer number of commercial fuzzes out there should not surprise. I love a nice fuzz as much as anyone can. At the same time, the audible differences are often negligible, pedals are indistinguishable, and what people like in pedal A can easily be achieved with B by use of a little boost, or some EQ tweaking. Alternatively, the sound you like and associate with pedal X, from recordings, requires use of very specific equipment that would would never own.

I have a bunch and enjoy them I'm very fond of the Shin-Ei FY-2 Companion I have, and have made clones with assorted mods on several occasions, all of which have their own charms. Some might not consider octave-up units as true fuzzes, but I do. Some might not consider the venerable Big Muff Pi as a fuzz, but I think it counts. Sometimes I'm not even sure that the Fuzz Face counts as a fuzz, given the manner in which some folks use them in more restrained ways, and simply turn up now and then for some bite. One thing's for sure, the two-transistor configuration that forms the "engine" underlying the Fuzz Face is the basis of hundreds of other pedals. Hell, I even spotted it in the schematic of my old Heathkit amp.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I’m more of a fan of fuzz when playing bass; I keep a Way Huge Swollen Pickle on my bass board for when I need it.

As for guitar, I keep one of the new EHX Opamp big muffs on my board, but it’s tamed down a bit and I use it for thickening rhythm sections.

I like fuzz, but the way I use them, I could probably get away with just a distortion pedal, and that’s usually what I do.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I hate fuzz so much.
But Wait !!!.........There’s more !!!!
Here is an old shitty 90’s fuzz face pushed with a Tube Screamer from UK !......Guitar is a $150 Dillion into a $200 GBX Lady Bug ,...then goes into a 4X12 cab recorded with a crappy clipping Iphone !
Gain on Fuzz .........2 oclock
Tube Screamer .....Gain zero

·
Registered
772 Posts
LOVE fuzz. That one sounded great too.
Love all kind of fuzz circuits too: Harmonic Percolators- Companion Fuzz- Fuzz Face- Tonebenders.
I can’t get a good metal tone but give me a Fuzz any day.

·
Registered
772 Posts
At the same token I don’t get why guys have three different overdrives. They all sound the same.
All good though. We all have different tastes and needs. Thank goodness

1 - 11 of 11 Posts