The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Recently had a true "barn-find". I've always played a trusty Classic 30, so I knew essentially nothing about Fender amps. Anyway, I was at an estate sale to look at a car, but I eyed a Fender amp in pieces in the corner. Offered the guy $20 since I assumed it was just a butchered up reissue or something. I've come to find out it's, as the title states, quite a rare bird - a 1964 Vibrolux, but without reverb. Apparently one of 200 or so made? Not so sure about that.

Anyway, as of now it's missing the tube cover panel (the tolex-covered wood panel), tubes, handle, chrome strips on top, and the power transformer. Everything else, including the caps seems to be original. I believe it has the original Oxford speaker, but maybe someone can tell me for sure. I've left a message and asked if I can come look for the rest of the pieces, offered $150 if I can find everything (now that I know it's of value).

Obviously the electrics in this amp deserve a proper restoration. Anybody know a guy in Thunder Bay? I'm thinking I might ship it to Chris Church back home in Hamilton, all the gigging guys in my band days used to rave about him.

Pictures here.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Hey guys,

Recently had a true "barn-find". I've always played a trusty Classic 30, so I knew essentially nothing about Fender amps. Anyway, I was at an estate sale to look at a car, but I eyed a Fender amp in pieces in the corner. Offered the guy $20 since I assumed it was just a butchered up reissue or something. I've come to find out it's, as the title states, quite a rare bird - a 1964 Vibrolux, but without reverb. Apparently one of 200 or so made? Not so sure about that.

Anyway, as of now it's missing the tube cover panel (the tolex-covered wood panel), tubes, handle, chrome strips on top, and the power transformer. Everything else, including the caps seems to be original. I believe it has the original Oxford speaker, but maybe someone can tell me for sure. I've left a message and asked if I can come look for the rest of the pieces, offered $150 if I can find everything (now that I know it's of value).

Obviously the electrics in this amp deserve a proper restoration. Anybody know a guy in Thunder Bay? I'm thinking I might ship it to Chris Church back home in Hamilton, all the gigging guys in my band days used to rave about him.

Pictures here.
Never mind I see the link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
Wow, that's finding treasure right there. The Oxford does look original and probably is if I got the date code correct (50th wk of '63?)

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Oooooooooooooh I love these amps. Great find!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that's finding treasure right there. The Oxford does look original and probably is if I got the date code correct (50th wk of '63?)
Does sound like the original speaker then. I actually tested the speaker out by hooking it up to my classic 30 (PO put a 1/4 jack on the Peavey's output) and it sounds just beautiful.

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Wow.. I would've picked it up myself. That can be put back together for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
nice find, and worth way more than you paid for it. Doesn't look like it has ever been "messed with". Very original.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts