The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I'd say that given the year it's not unlikely that a guitar could have one of each. The patent number stickers began in mid to late 1962 (with the wrong patent number funny enough) so a guitar made in that year could definitely have ended up with one of each.

Also, check the polepiece spacing of the two pickups- the neck spacing should be slightly narrower than the bridge.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Early 60's Gibsons had a combo of on PAF and one Patent very frequently! I've been seeing this constantly while researching early 60's SG's and 335's

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
I got to play Ted Nugent's blonde Byrdland in 1970. The Byrdland is kind of the jazz-box version of the Fender Mustang. I don't mean that as a diss. Rather, it has a shorter-than-short scale (23.5"). The Mustang can be had with scale lengths of 24" and 22.5". That makes it VERY easy to bend strings, on either the Mustang or Byrdland. That's neither good nor bad, just different. As a short-scale 22-fret instrument, there ain't a lot of room between the pickups. For me, that's a shortcoming, but if you like the tone the guitar produces, that's no hardship whatsoever.

But that's one pretty piece of wood. REALLY pretty. The gold doesn't hurt either. Congrats. Haul out your Ted Greene book and get to work!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've never seen a tremolo like that before on a Byrd! Stock? It looks like the style of trem you see on old SGs from that era.

Hope you got it at a good price. Blondes from the early 60s aren't cheap!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts