The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone. I recently had this idea to build a 61 SG replica for myself. I am going to try and be as faithful to the original as possible. I've built a few SGs recently. A couple full guitars and a few more body and neck kit type guitars.

I started a few years ago by starting to collect plans and models of different guitars. One of the first and best pieces of info came in the form of a 63 SG JR 3d model that a friend on another forum had modeled from a real guitar. He is a industrial designer from Sweden and was kind enough to model the full guitar and posted the model to share with everyone.

So this was my starting point.
1576936580996.png

This will probably be a long and drawn out build as I am still working and have lots of other projects on the go. Because this project will be for me, it'll take a back seat.

Regards Peter.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your last thread was awesome. Can’t wait.
Thanks - I think that was the walnut SG, right? I actually just gifted that guitar to my friend's son who turns 9 yrs old tomorrow. So my wall is light one guitar, or more. ;-)

Regards Peter.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a gift. He better have an education plan in place. I recommend Yousician especially in these distanced times.
Yeah - his mom is looking into that. I might do some Zoom meetings with him if he wants. They were over a couple of years ago when he was 7 and he spent a couple of hours in the shop with me building a guitar body. I was surprised it held his attention and he always like playing with my guitars when they were over. He's a gifted little kid and I hope he takes to it.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started by taking importing the body into my CAM software.
CNC_preview_front.jpg

I wanted to create a blank body because the basic outline and bevels were the same from the early to mid-60's. Meaning they all started from the same basic template of outline and bevels. The individual guys that sanded the body may have had their own method and final shape as was common in those early days.

I changed my CAM software over the last few years so had to import it into Fusion 360 and fill in all the holes and cavities to get a solid body blank.
Fusion01.JPG

Fusion creates "drawings" as well which is handy ti figure out dimensions.
Blank_63-body.JPG

Once I did that I could use this for the basis of multiple different types of early 60's SGs. Juniors, Standards, etc etc. A friend of mine wanted to build a replica of Tony Iommi's monkey SG do I helped him with the body and he let me measure up a '65 SG he had in his shop at the time. I measure his '65 and as suspected the outline and bevels were very similar. I measured the pup routes and locations of all of the other geometry and created a model for that design.
Fusion05.JPG

I ended up cutting a few test bodies out of some wood I had laying around.
bodies.jpg

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The '65 I measured up had a "swimming pool" route for a control cavity which had a brass shielding insert. A friend of mine sent me some sketches and CAD plans for a 61 SG control cavity and I updated the model as per those dimensions.
section.JPG

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
7,447 Posts
Are you not seeing the last pic of the 3 bodies? One spalted figured maple, one black walnut, and one honduran mahogany.

Cheers Peter.
I can see them now.
thumbsup.gif

This site's been kinda weird for the last little while.

Reactions: Silvertone

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So from that first batch of bodies I sent the Honduran Mahogany down to my buddy for his build and built both of the other bodies into full guitars. The spalted figured maple ended up at my friend's place in Buffalo as a Christmas gift from his wife.
IMG_6798_lo.jpg

and I just gifted the other one, the walnut body, to my friend's nine year old son. We had a social distanced visit with them yesterday and his birthday is today. He is a big DC universe fan, batman specifically, so I made a batman themed pickguard for that build. The neck was a sycamore and walnut laminate with a wrap tail.
IMG_6982.JPG

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had another friend that wanted a body for his early 60's SG build so off to cut a couple more test bodies. I cut another walnut body, and two Honduran Mahogany bodies from wood I had been saving for quite a while as it was nice and light. Here are those bodies.
bodies_low.JPG

I order quite a few parts from Dan and Mojoaxe as he has great replica and just great quality parts in general. Through our conversations I inquired about a sideways vibrola and he also can obtain those. I decided I would try and build a replica of the first design for the SG, which was the 1961 Les Paul Standard model. This was prior to Les Paul knowing about the design change. He was not happy with the design and asked his name to be taken off of that guitar. So the first year had his name attached to the guitar in the form of the signature on the truss rod cover. The 1962 model was renamed the SG, solid guitar, model.

Here is a pic of the 1961 model -
front02.JPG

I'm just ordering some more parts from Dan, including the sideways vibrola shown here and working on some custom drawings for this particular build.

61_SG.JPG

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Hi Peter

You seem to be a good friend, everyone needs a friend like you!

I will be following this thread as closely as the last one.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hi Peter

You seem to be a good friend, everyone needs a friend like you!

I will be following this thread as closely as the last one.
lol - yeah it may seem that way. I do sell a lot of this stuff but it's mostly people that I meet on these forums. So I always just say a friend. I do this as a hobby so it's not really a commercial enterprise.

Cheers Peter.

PS - I just posted a thread in the For Sale section listing a couple of those SG bodies. If anyone is interested PM me. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I might be back at this project soon. I will be going to a friend's place soon to measure up a few vintage early 60's SGs to develop a comprehensive set of construction documents. I've been collecting parts for my first build. I always like to have all the parts before I start building. In this case I want to have them so I can check that my drawings will accurately work with NOS or reproduction parts for the exact guitar I want to develop. I purchased a bunch of stuff from Dan at Mojoaxe. I have used Dan for a while now and have always been impressed with the quality and his general customer service. Here is my most recent parcel of goodies. I have everything I need currently except for pickups, which I may be leaning toward Thro-baks.

I also purchased a pre-wired harness from Cream Tone a while back. Also impressed with their quality.

I should be able to get onto the drawings and update my CAM models in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
16,297 Posts
If I ever get an SG, I'll call you first.

You do precise CNC work, but still manage to make it an art.

I'll be interested to know just how much extra mass one has to add to a conventional SG body to create the kind of balance I prefer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts