The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@Tone Chaser ...Saw this on the local Kijiji and thought of you.

1960's Yamaha SA-50 | Guitars | Kitchener / Waterloo | Kijiji

Description
Considering offers on my late 1960's Yamaha SA-50 (Super Axe) Semi-Hollowbody. Guitar is all original except the tuners which were upgraded to Grovers by previous owner. Includes the original Yamaha fitted case. Will not respond to "how much" please do your research and make your best offer. Cheers

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
Great guitar but screw people who dont list a price.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Mine, with the mods, rivals what a good 70-80’s Gibson would sound like. It is an addictive beast that is hard to put down if you have the amp settings at the sweet spots. Clean settings are also very, very good, that cover a lot of musical ground.

Stock components, it was a clean, warm, clean to jazzy masterpiece. Modded, it just plain takes you there. The bridge and tailpiece might be a turn off to many visually, but what comes out of that sum of parts, once sorted and adjusted, is almost priceless to some who has an understanding. Finding, or getting that all to work with the end results, is priceless to me personally. Lack of money back then, and just plain, dumb luck, how things worked out for me and this Super Axe guitar. It now lives up to it’s name.

Now with some previous good luck and experience with the SA 60, I am curious about the SA 50. I inquired about trades being an option. If it was $200-600, I would just blindly buy it. In actuallity, the asking price, depending on condition and playability might be at the high side and OK, but it is a lesser known and experienced guitar. This will be a tough sale at the asking price and the sellers perceived attitude.

The reply was “send a picture to the phone number.” No description of what kind of likes or dislikes, preferences in trades. Basically sounds like someone who doesn’t appreciate the guitar and due to the age of it, thinks it is worth a lot. Just a gut feeling.

I can tell you that without the mods, that just happened to have worked out on a positive scale, I likely would have bought a 335-355 Gibson by now, and my SA might have been sold off. I think I bought it used in 1976, modded it in my guitar playing prime, around 1986.

The playability and neck on mine are a keeper for my hands, but I always want more, or something special out of a good guitar.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Mine, with the mods, rivals what a good 70-80’s Gibson would sound like. It is an addictive beast that is hard to put down if you have the amp settings at the sweet spots. Clean settings are also very, very good, that cover a lot of musical ground.

Stock components, it was a clean, warm, clean to jazzy masterpiece. Modded, it just plain takes you there. The bridge and tailpiece might be a turn off to many visually, but what comes out of that sum of parts, once sorted and adjusted, is almost priceless to some who has an understanding. Finding, or getting that all to work with the end results, is priceless to me personally. Lack of money back then, and just plain, dumb luck, how things worked out for me and this Super Axe guitar. It now lives up to it’s name.

Now with some previous good luck and experience either the SA 60, I am curious about the SA 50. I inquired about trades being an option. If it was $200-600, I would just blindly buy it. In actuallity, the asking price, depending on condition and playability might be at the high side and OK, but it is a lesser known and experienced guitar. This will be a tough sale at the asking price and the sellers perceived attitude.

The reply was “send a picture to the phone number.” No description of what kind of likes or dislikes, preferences in trades. Basically sounds like someone who doesn’t appreciate the guitar and due to the age of it, thinks it is worth a lot. Just a gut feeling.

I can tell you that without the mods, that just happened to have worked out on a positive scale, I likely would have bought a 335-355 Gibson by now, and my SA might have been sold off. I think I bought it used in 1976, modded it in my guitar playing prime, around 1986.

The playability and neck on mine are a keeper for my hands, but I always want more, or something special out of a good guitar.
Now you're making me want one.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
I saw a SA 60 hang on Reverb for over a year at a $800 USD or higher asking price. It did sell eventually, but I don’t know at what price. I was notified that an offer was made, and it was gone shortly after that. That was about a year ago. I felt that was too high as well, since I knew that I would have to mod it. Also, why would I need two of the same guitars.

If I ever make it up to Ottawa, I could bring it along for you to experience. You would then know for sure if it was something that needed to be hunted down. They don’t come available very often.

When I had it in the shop to investigate the mods, I was offered $600 CDN, before the mods, by a jazz guitarist.

I paid $150 used for the guitar in 1976, paid about $200 for mods in 1986. This has been my best guitar investment, other than the 1988 Gibson Epiphone Nouveau Spotlight, that I bought early this year.

It is nice to find a keeper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts