The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dunno how many of you visit the 'other' forum, fairly infrequently here, but i saw this when perusing this morning

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1960-burst-restoration.1993738/

My take away is complicated...
It looks way better than it did
The value of the guitar is now lost, but
It's his guitar and he can mod how he wants
Personally, i would've finished it in black or white and kept it as a Custom
I have both thick and slim necks...60 Burst's had the slim neck, so to keep it a 60's burst, i would've left it that way
His comment about the mahogany for the back seems off, i certainly wouldn't have shaved a 50's LP Jr to hide the issue

I'm more of a custom guy than a Standard guy...i like the wider binding, ebony, block inlays, diamond headstock

All in all..it looks great...its a 60's LP that he plans on gigging...and id do it to...its certainly not worth a house...as long as when it's sold, its done truthfully

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I think his skills are amazing. But that was a very valuable guitar, and much rarer than what he really wanted. What he did was retarded (even though he was perfectly within his rights .... don't mean it wasn't dead stupid though, cuz he had so many other options to get what he desired without taking this route).

Just because it's his axe and his choice, doesn't mean I have to be nice about it and hold back criticism. Especially if he makes a public show of being such a fuckstick; that's litterally asking for it.

Reactions: keto

·
Premium Member
16,835 Posts
Without clicking - dude has a rare vintage LP, and doesn't sell it for the player grade one he wanted?

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
Zactly what GG said. I got looking at the thread and, if it really was a 60 flametop Custom, he screwed up bad.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,120 Posts
I dont know why you guys are having a fit over this. The guitar was already a refin and it was discovered to essentially be a burst that got painted black and he made it what he wanted. Personally I wouldn't do it, but to each their own. As for the value, I've seen a shit ton of 50s conversations that go for a lot of money. In my mind what he did is much more tasteful than taking a mid 50s gold top and making it a late 50s burst and in the end probably worth nearly as much as a refinished custom would have been. You should rename the thread to "Judging people for doing what they want with their own shit", leave the thread part out though, its redundant and already assumed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts