The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A cool Rockabilly axe. I only recently learned it is a Coronado because somebody sent me a scan of the original catalog.

I alway called it a "Valtrol" because that's what it says on the pickguard.

It's neck is similar to a baseball bat. The pups look like humbuckers, but are actually single coils.
It has a unique tone control system - three sets of trim pots provide three selectable Volume / Tone settings. Weird!

More pix, including the catalog listing are at http://joeyace.com/Supro.htm.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
A cool Rockabilly axe. I only recently learned it is a Coronado because somebody sent me a scan of the original catalog.

It's neck is similar to a baseball bat. The pups look like humbuckers, but are actually single coils.
It has a unique tone control system - three sets of trim pots provide three selectable Volume / Tone settings. Weird!

Interesting piece, is that an ebony board?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fretboard is a very dark rosewood.

The Bigsby is probably not original equipment, but definitely of that era.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts

WOW !!!!! you have one too !!!!! That is the only one other than mine I have ever seen. :food-smiley-004: Mine doesn't have a Bigsby though. Has the stair step tail peice. I use mine for very swampy tones, mostly slide. Just tracked with it this past weekend. Thanks for letting me in on the name. I always thought it was called a Valtrol too.
I love it's tone. Sounds like a charging Elephant through an old tweed Gibson Explorer amp. Stands right out in the mix. I try to get a picture of mine up so we can compare.

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
244 Posts
thats what I'm talking about

I've had my eye on old supro's for a while now, I'd love to add one to the collection

give me a supro over a gibson or fender any day (although I know I'm just about alone on that one.....hahaha)

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Here's a shot of mine as promised.

here is the volume and tone controls as Joey described...

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Way Cool, Pete!

I'm impressed! How long have you had it? I bought mine in 1982 in NYC.

The only difference I see is the tailpiece (yours is original) and volume knob (mine is original).

I was contacted last year by a guy that buoght a lot of original Supro and National parts at auction when the company went out of business. He offered to sell me an original tailpiece, for around $100. I didn't buy it.

Thanks for the post!

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Hey Joey

I bought mine in about 88'. I bought it from a grip on a movie set I was working on. Had an original 50's Elvis Presley trading card in the case.

Pete

·
Registered
244 Posts
too cool!

I want one

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid $200 US in 1980 at a music store in Manhattan.
That included a hard Guild case.

Suspect it's worth about a Grand now. Hard to tell, since ther's none for sale that I know of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts