The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plugged in the 18 watt clone tonight and started noticing a lack of treble. After about 45 minutes the sound started to fade in an out at which point I turned it off. THoughts? Could it just be a tube on the way out. I've got lots and plan on swapping them out tomorrow. Just wondering if I'm on the right track.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If I remember correctly this past summer, mine started to act up - either I lost the bottom end or the treble. Then, if I tried to turn up the volume past very low, it would squeal.

I changed the two EL84's (didnt touch the preamps) and it was just like new. Defintely the power tubes that went bad on mine. Been fine ever since.

AJC

·
Registered
255 Posts
I always check tubes first as it is usually the first thing to cause issues.

·
Administrator
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips guys but it's apparently not the tubes. I put a new pair of EL84's in this morning and fired it up. Left the back off so I could see what was going on. Everything OK for about 15 minutes then the volume started to quickly fade. By the time I got around back one of the tubes was glowing bright orange, and I do mean glowing :smile: I believe that is one fried tube.

thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Check the preamp tubes that buffer the tone stack (or tone control, as there's no stack really). V1 and V2. Then check the bias on the power tubes.

·
Administrator
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like my long delayed trip to see Bill is going to have to happen sooner rather than later, I'm running out of amps. :smile:
The 18 watter won't even power up now so something is truly fried. Took the chassis out of the head and there's no obvious signs of anything burnt. Ah well, I really wanted the Busen/Traynor back up and running properly anyway.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys but it's apparently not the tubes. I put a new pair of EL84's in this morning and fired it up. Left the back off so I could see what was going on. Everything OK for about 15 minutes then the volume started to quickly fade. By the time I got around back one of the tubes was glowing bright orange, and I do mean glowing :smile: I believe that is one fried tube.

thoughts?
Well I dont know the design but if it was a good tube as you suggest then possibly the bias voltage is wrong. It works in relation to the plate voltage. This would cause the plates to glow, causeing an increase in plate current and is not a good sign.

Dont use it until someone in the know checks it out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
great Dave............now I have to wait for YOUR stuff to be fixed before mine !!!!! lol

talked to Bill recently, great guy! :indeed : your in good hands !

he lives just blocks from my parents ! .....and my brother (edwardamp.com, ...my brother's too busy to help out these days !), stoney creek is a great town !

hope that all works out well for you.

·
Administrator
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried to buy one of your brothers amps a few years ago but they were out of stock and he'd stopped building them. Looked like cool little amps. :food-smiley-004:

The 18 is already fixed and I'm just waiting for Bill to check out the Traynor/Busen. He said he got swamped all of a sudden after my visit but I'm in no great rush, been at home sick as a dog since last week so no playing time anyway. (you know I'm sick if I don't even feel like picking up the guitar :smile:).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Did you find out what the problem was?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Do you find out what the problem was?

Leaky coupling cap in the 18watter drove the grid of an EL84 positive after 10-15 minutes of slowly leaking more and more. With a positive grid the tube was jammed full on and tried to burn itself out. Replaced both coupling caps with higher rated units but at least one tube was damaged so I replaced 'em both to be safe.

There was also an issue with the fuseholder not being drilled out with a flat in the hole to prevent "spinning". I guess the guy doing the kit was a younger guy who didn't know about this and just drilled a round hole. The fuseholder had gotten a bit loose and "spun", breaking a wire on the inside.

Sounds good to me now but as I've said many times before, I can't understand why the amps I repair sound so much better when the customer plays them then when I do! Must be something strange about the acoustics around my service bench, I guess.

The wife and kids have a different explanation but I don't believe it!:smile:

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I tried to buy one of your brothers amps a few years ago but they were out of stock and he'd stopped building them. Looked like cool little amps. :food-smiley-004:

The 18 is already fixed and I'm just waiting for Bill to check out the Traynor/Busen. He said he got swamped all of a sudden after my visit but I'm in no great rush, been at home sick as a dog since last week so no playing time anyway. (you know I'm sick if I don't even feel like picking up the guitar :smile:).

glad to hear Bill's got 1/2 of your baby's back to you!

actually, Ed is still making the amps, but he's not using dealers anymore.......just for $hits and giggles if you ever wanted to spend time with one again to try for fun, you are more than welcome to borrow the original prototype (which I borrowed.....stole indefinately from my brother ;)..hee.heee......tough little amp, its been all over the world with the same tubes !! (10yrs now)....probably needs a retube......but I like the "looseness" so I don't dare change it....

anyway, I extend that offer to any of the gc brothers, more than happy to have people try my brother's amps out.!

hope your feeling better Dave!...lots o bad virus's floatin' around...and my kid has brought all of them home !!!!:eek:

·
Administrator
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
glad to hear Bill's got 1/2 of your baby's back to you!

actually, Ed is still making the amps, but he's not using dealers anymore.......just for $hits and giggles if you ever wanted to spend time with one again to try for fun, you are more than welcome to borrow the original prototype (which I borrowed.....stole indefinately from my brother ;)..hee.heee......tough little amp, its been all over the world with the same tubes !! (10yrs now)....probably needs a retube......but I like the "looseness" so I don't dare change it....

anyway, I extend that offer to any of the gc brothers, more than happy to have people try my brother's amps out.!

hope your feeling better Dave!...lots o bad virus's floatin' around...and my kid has brought all of them home !!!!:eek:

Glad to hear he's still building and may take you up on that offer but I will likely be selling off a bunch of stuff once my Reinhardt 18 combo arrives (if it sounds the way it should anyway).

I actually tried going back to work today but only lasted a couple of hours before they kicked me back out :smile: This is one nasty bug.

·
Registered
401 Posts
congrats on the reinhardt !! heard nothing but good things....havn't heard it yet, but alot of people who's oppinion I trust love them!

get well Davetcan !.... boy your not kidding......we've been going around with various bugs for like 4months now !! crazy .... be well fast !

·
Administrator
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
congrats on the reinhardt !! heard nothing but good things....havn't heard it yet, but alot of people who's oppinion I trust love them!

get well Davetcan !.... boy your not kidding......we've been going around with various bugs for like 4months now !! crazy .... be well fast !
I've known Bob for a few years, absolutely great guy. His wife Sue does all of the tolex work and if you've ever seen pics I'm sure you know she does an amazing job. I really hope this business venture works out for him, he deserves it. Got to be a tough decision to quit your day job and take this on fulltime.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I've known Bob for a few years, absolutely great guy. His wife Sue does all of the tolex work and if you've ever seen pics I'm sure you know she does an amazing job. I really hope this business venture works out for him, he deserves it. Got to be a tough decision to quit your day job and take this on fulltime.
Those Reinhardt amps look fantastic, I'm looking forward to your tone report when you get it. Those clips of Greg Martin playing the 18 watt Reinhardt are some of my favourite amp clips on the web. Just think Dave, you'll soon be sounding exactly like this :)D) :

http://www.reinhardtamps.com/Sounds/GregMartin/Small/01_-_GregMartin_18watt1small.mp3

·
Administrator
15,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those Reinhardt amps look fantastic, I'm looking forward to your tone report when you get it. Those clips of Greg Martin playing the 18 watt Reinhardt are some of my favourite amp clips on the web. Just think Dave, you'll soon be sounding exactly like this :)D) :

http://www.reinhardtamps.com/Sounds/GregMartin/Small/01_-_GregMartin_18watt1small.mp3
Probably not "quite" like that :banana:

It was actually this other Gregs video that got me hooked

http://www.vintageamp.net/ampfest/reinhardt18el84.wmv

1 - 19 of 19 Posts