The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, recently I decided I would start building my own amps. I started with a simple, small, 1 Watt Trinity TriFly with an eye to cutting my teeth. I was a complete NOOB! The build went reasonably well (didn't die) so I moved on to what I really wanted: an 18 Watt Plexi.

I ordered the 18 Watt (w/ 6V6 option + Sozos/VRM) kit from Trinity and went off to the races...sort of. What I learned was that I was still a compete NOOB. The learning curve here was fairly steep. Still, with some patience (mine and Stephen Cohrs' at Trinity- mostly Stephen's), I was able to work through some issues (bad resistor, one wiring, a missing part or two).

I also must confess that I took the build to see Rob @ classicsamps.com. Rob spotted an issue or two (my doing) and recommended a slight tweak - which I incorporated; a worthwhile visit to Cambridge.

In the end, I have an amaziing sounding 18 Watt Marshall clone. I opted NOT to install the VRM. Yes, the amp is loud but it is glorious and was built to be played LOUD. Someday, I will try to upload some clips. For now, here is a pictorial walk-through of the build.

Attachments

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Motr pics...assembled board enters chassis...leads everywhere!

And the last shot is of the final, completed chassis.

Attachments

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Final product...Looking good!!!

So, one last confession: I enjoyed building the cabinet and it went really well...except for the Tolex. I have discoveredd that not only do I not like Tolex but I will NEVER, ever work with the stuff ever again. So, the credit for the cab in the picture goes to Derek Bell...who fortuitously just happened to have a can up for sale on kijiji. Tone Gods be praised.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. That is a fun aspect of the build.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
If I can make one criticism? Heat is the enemy of capacitors. They should be kept away from their respective cathode resistors or any other sources of heat wherever possible. Mounting them over top of power resistors like that is very frowned upon. :)

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I can make one criticism? Heat is the enemy of capacitors. They should be kept away from their respective cathode resistors or any other sources of heat wherever possible. Mounting them over top of power resistors like that is very frowned upon. :)
Interesting. I suppose that's why there was special attention paid to ensuring clearance between the resistor and the cap in the written instructions. Its difficult to see in the pics but theose two caps were soldered more than 1/8th of an inch above the resistors (as per the instructions).

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Amazing !! Can you please educate me where to learn all that process ? Love to mess around and build some of my own as well

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amazing !! Can you please educate me where to learn all that process ? Love to mess around and build some of my own as well
Sure.

I'd recommend that you start by doing some light reading. These are good sites:

Paul Ruby Amplifiers
Amp Stuff

Make sure you have the mechanical and safety tools (bleeder circuit, lightbulb limiter, safety glasses, good lighting, a good multi-meter, a safety-first mentality).

I'd also recommend that you start with a simple kit build. I used Trinity Amps here in Ontario but there are others. I chose Trinity because the owner has an excellent reputation as a communicator, stands behind his products, and they feature fairly high-end parts. (+I prefer to buy/shop Canadian) I started with a 1 Watt Trifly and the built a Plexi. In all honesty, the Plexi build was likely not a good choice for my 1st 'real' build. It was fairly complex and I bit off almost more than I could chew. The 5E3 is less complex and perhaps a better choice for a second build (or first 'real' build).

Lastly, there's a lot of knowledge kicking around here too (as you can see from the previous couple posts). People here are pretty cool about answering questions without making you feel like the greenhorn NOOB that you are.

If you have the time and are willing to learn (a lot), you'll likely find it rewarding to build your own amp. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Amazing, thanks so much, lots of good site there, I already bookmark !! MY 1st ultimate goal is able to build a super simple amp between 0.5-1w Fenderish clean, will check Trinity, but any other Canadian shop we can use as well ?

·
Premium Member
18,314 Posts
In addition to what has been mentioned, I would recommend getting your soldering "gear" together and do lots of soldering and desoldering (e.g., on the terminals of old potentiometers, etc). Soldering is an essential skill to develop.
Apologies if you are currently skilled with soldering.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
congrats! I have the Trinity 18W Plexi and it's become my live and recording amp!
I have the VRM installed...and i also did the mod to link the channels for more gain, but haven't used it since i did it...
great amps! Steve is great and has a great set of products!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice job. Indeed, JB knows his stuff, those caps should be beside or under the cathode resistors.
Thanks. Was a load of fun...and is more fun now thsat I can use it!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nice job. Indeed, JB knows his stuff, those caps should be beside or under the cathode resistors.
Thanks. Was a load of fun...and is more fun now thsat I can use it!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In addition to what has been mentioned, I would recommend getting your soldering "gear" together and do lots of soldering and desoldering (e.g., on the terminals of old potentiometers, etc). Soldering is an essential skill to develop.
Apologies if you are currently skilled with soldering.
Yes. Cold solders are a builder's worst enemy.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Amazing, thanks so much, lots of good site there, I already bookmark !! MY 1st ultimate goal is able to build a super simple amp between 0.5-1w Fenderish clean, will check Trinity, but any other Canadian shop we can use as well ?
You're welcomed.

Sadly, there aren't many options for amp kits in Canada (that I was able to find).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts