The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I haven't built an amp for awhile so bear with me..I'm looking at the fuse holder and both prongs are at the end..See pic

is one prong tip. There is a P beside one of the prongs...or does it matter.

Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!

I'm sure the will be more questions to follow.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I worked with solid state and digital electronics, so I won't be much help with the tube amp build. I think Wild Bill and Gunny (and probably a few others I missed) will be the guys to direct questions to once you get further into it.

Good Luck,

Andy

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

I'm getting close..The kit that I have is a mojo tone kit. I have looked at a lot of other pictures of kits for referrence and found the Mojo kit is a bit differrent..

here are some pics:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Just curious. Why did you go with Mojo Tone versus Trinity? Did you find a difference in price or quality of components? I'm thinking of getting an 18 watt kit at some point after Xmas.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think the transformers are better. I went on the advice of Jeff Flowerday who has already built one. I'm not sure what the cost of the trinity kits are..All said and done it will cost me just above $1000..That includes a celestion G12H30 and upgraded SOZO Caps..Which showed up on Friday so now I have put them in..sdsre

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Interesting. I think Trinity works out to about the same without the speaker. I just checked out the Mojotone website. Did you order it directly from them or through a dealer? There website lists the 18 watt kit at over $1000 with no mention of a speaker.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Through my business I get dealer status. PM me if you would like more details.

·
Registered
698 Posts
and upgraded SOZO Caps..Which showed up on Friday so now I have put them in.
I was gonna ask about the caps actually. In the dozens of 18w builds I've looked at since building my Trinity I don't think I've ever seen ceramic discs except in a couple of mods (usually just one across the output as a filter). Don't know if it makes any real difference, but I have noticed with the 18w that it's pretty sensitive to component substitutions.

My Trinity 18 sIII with trannys & a head cabinet cost a bit over a grand tax in & shipped if I remember correctly (back in Jan-Feb). It would be less now that the CAD is stronger (their prices are in USD). If one didn't want the Trinity trannys you could always source something else. The trannys aren't included with the base kit.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I was gonna ask about the caps actually. In the dozens of 18w builds I've looked at since building my Trinity I don't think I've ever seen ceramic discs except in a couple of mods (usually just one across the output as a filter). Don't know if it makes any real difference, but I have noticed with the 18w that it's pretty sensitive to component substitutions.

My Trinity 18 sIII with trannys & a head cabinet cost a bit over a grand tax in & shipped if I remember correctly (back in Jan-Feb). It would be less now that the CAD is stronger (their prices are in USD). If one didn't want the Trinity trannys you could always source something else. The trannys aren't included with the base kit.
Caps are caps you use what you like. IMO, I found the sozos tamed the top end harshness a bit, an overall improvment in smoothness, a little chewier with a little more mids. In comparison to mallories.

Without getting into prices, dealer status at Mojo is much cheaper than anyone else except maybe Weber. That said I don't like Weber trannies and some of their other parts aren't the best quality, IMO.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't put the SoZo's in yet but the amp sounds fantastic!!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hamm is correct. Fuses have no polarity and are wired in series. I believe Paul is saying (correctly) that you want the hot (black) wire from the power cord to be wired to the fuse holder [not the white wire].

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finished Product

Alll done!

·
Registered
328 Posts
OK, I see Paul's point. Since I detest getting any shock, I wouldn't install a fuse with the power cord plugged in but connecting the incoming black wire to the far end will avoid that hazard.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 20 Posts