The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I just picked up a 1971 Marshall Artiste 2040 combo.
I'm trying to figure out if the four 12ax7 tubes that are in it are original to the amp.
They are all labelled (horizontally) ECC83/C with Marshall written below that in red and only one of them still has a very small hint of a number written in gold behind where it says ECC83/C.
I've read that Marshall re-labelled JJ tubes are written in red so perhaps they are JJ's however I am curious as to whether or not Marshall produced amps back then with Marshall re-labelled tubes.

Would anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
How about some pics?
Have you researched what kind of tubes Marshall was using in '71? Then you could compare pics to what you have.
Any older marshall branded tubes I have seen had white lettering.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about some pics?
Have you researched what kind of tubes Marshall was using in '71? Then you could compare pics to what you have.
Any older marshall branded tubes I have seen had white lettering.
I would add a pic but I just boxed them up with the amp chassis and shipped it all off for repair. I did a quick search for red marshall labelled tubes and came up with JJs but it seemed to me they would be more recent than '71. I'll do a search for what Marshall used back then instead to see what it comes up with.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Make sure to tell the repair place to "save all old parts, including tubes" and return them to you, rather than 'misplacing' them. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahaha thanks!
I'm actually shipping it to a GC user who has fixed up an amp and some pedals for me in the past. He is very trustworthy. ;) He goes by the name Epis on here if you ever need any work done.

Make sure to tell the repair place to "save all old parts, including tubes" and return them to you, rather than 'misplacing' them. ;)

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
If it's Epis, you are in very good hands.
I was mostly joking anyway, but there are the odd shady operators out there.

·
Premium Member
8,606 Posts
I stand to be corrected, but I didn't think there were rebranded tubes until at least the mid-late 80's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts