The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an almost new Seagull S6 acoustic at L&M.
I play mostly with a thumb pick, and have usually used Light strings with the 1st being a 12 on acoustics. I'm thinking of going with the Classic Light with the 1st being 11 when I change strings. What do you think? Any appreciable difference?

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
My weak little fingers appreciate 11s. But I don't find a real significant difference in sound of an 11 or 12.

11-52s

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
12s (D'Addario EJ16) on most of my acoustics,
13s (D'Addario EJ17) on one that's tuned down a semitone,
sometimes 14s (D'Addario EJ18) on the baritone tuned down 3 semitones
and sometimes 13s on the same guitar tuned down two semitones.

The idea for me is to get approximately the same tension and feel under the fingers on each guitar.

I like a certain beefy feel under the fingers and sense that anything lighter moves around too much under my fingertips, and I have a fairly light touch. (For the same reason i use hard tension strings on my classicals.) Light enough to bend and apply vibrato, heavy enough to give me the feel and tone I want.

(Sometimes I use other strings, like D'Addario Flattops for resonator and lap slide, coated strings in extreme humidity, etc.)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I’ve always had 12’s on my cheapie acoustic and they sounded great. I put on some 10’s the other day hoping it would be easier on a finger injury I have. The tone literally disappeared. It went from sounding like a six string orchestra to a plastic cigar box. Could’t believe it made that much difference. So for acoustics at least, run 12’s I guess.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Much thanks to those that have and will comment. I think I am going to stay with the 12's. Love the sound of this guitar and would hate to do anything to change it.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I use 11's on my S6 because they sound and feel just about right. I did try 12's a bit ago, but went back to 11's. 12's just didn't work for my playing style, which was developed over a long long time on electric as a lead guitarist.

But I did love the difference in tone with the 12's. Why not try 11's and adjust accordingly to your own feel and sound you want?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
No best answer to that except personal try.
I would generally comply to builder's recommandation (apparently based on the most resonant gauge for the guitar).

P.S. I happened to be a 0,012 gauge guy since 0,013 was too hard for my nails and I would make unwanted bends with 0,011 (reason why I stopped playing electrics).

·
Registered
38 Posts
12's for me. Tried 13's and they sounded good on my J-50, but fingerpicking didn't have enough volume. 12's are a good balance of volume, fingerstyle, and tension for rhythm and lead playing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No best answer to that except personal try.
I would generally comply to builder's recommandation (apparently based on the most resonant gauge for the guitar).

P.S. I happened to be a 0,012 gauge guy since 0,013 was too hard for my nails and I would make unwanted bends with 0,011 (reason why I stopped playing electrics).
I run into the same problem playing my electrics. Glad to see I’m not the only one.

Just another reason I’m 90% acoustic these days.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
12's for the win here.
I've tried 11's on many of my acoustics over the years and the tone always disappeard.
I think 12's might be needed to drive the tops of dreadnought and larger bodied acoustics, which is what I always use.
However, Ymmv and all that... try it and see! (or hear rather... :rolleyes: )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts