The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a $100 GC for L&M. I'm pretty happy with my effects at the moment, anything that I'd want is well over $100 anyways.

I was thinking about new guitar/effects cables. Right now I'm just using those cheap multi-coloured effects cables. Would spending the money for something like George L's benefit my sound that much? Or do the more pricey cables just make my setup have less feedback?

Anyways, if I were looking for new guitar/effects cables, what brands should I look at?

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
I like the george L's for guitar>amp. Transparent for sure, but a little noisy with handling. I use the planet waves kit for pedal board, and they are excellent. I don't notice a lot of difference with sound/clarity with the pedal board kit, but they sure are neat and tidy.

All of the pedal kits take a little practice to get the connectors on right.

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
I've been using Monster Cables Studio Pro 1000's for about a year now.
Guitar to pedals to amp nd head to cab. Best investment I've made in a long time in regards to overal tonal quality... I thought I had tone before.

Khing

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cables are an excellent investment in your tone. I like Evidence Audio but at L&M the Mogami / Neutrik or Digiflex are both good industry standard stuff.

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
or you could just make your own cables, and buy a wack of strings. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I like the george L's for guitar>amp. Transparent for sure, but a little noisy with handling. I use the planet waves kit for pedal board, and they are excellent. I don't notice a lot of difference with sound/clarity with the pedal board kit, but they sure are neat and tidy.

All of the pedal kits take a little practice to get the connectors on right.
you nailed it man. George L's are pretty bright sounding, and can let through more noise than you knew you had.(TERRIBLE as a bass cable, they seem to pull out a lot of the lows) Planet waves cable isnt much better than the cheap stuff, but the ends are strong and easy to set up, they make for a very clean rig. Mogami's are actually a night and day difference when stacked against the cheapies. Try to do a shootout in the store. Depending how many cables you need, it might be worth getting a spool of mogami cable and an ends bundle from planet waves.

a company called radial (in canada) pre-makes mogami cables and resells them, but you pay a premium and better ends are available.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have some George Ls and some really cheapo cables and I honestly can't notice much of a difference, if there is a difference, it's very very minimal. In my opinion the only thing you should care about when purchasing cables is durability. That's why I'm a big Planet Waves fan.

I

·
0 Posts
a company called radial (in canada) pre-makes mogami cables and resells them, but you pay a premium and better ends are available.
I bought a Radial-made cable covered in a nice tweed covering maybe 10 years ago at Ring Music on Harbord. It has outlasted every Planet Wave cable that's crossed my path since and is still reliable and sounds great.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I really like Gerge L for the pedal board as you can cut them to length. I don't know what you guys are talking about noise!
For guitar to borad and board to amp, i lke the Digiflex/musiflex cables with the Canare GS6 cable and neutrik ends. Dead silent rig for me

·
Premium Member
11,088 Posts
I'm using mostly Planet Waves right now because there's a local supplier, I use the "player's points", they're pretty durable, returns/exchanges are easy, the ends haven't failed yet, and they sound okay, even great for the price. However, and it's a big however, once you put a cheap cable between effects, all benefit is lost.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up getting the Planet Waves Cable Station for my effects, still unsure about the other cables though. I actually did find a tone difference in them compared to the flimsy multi-coloured cords I had before.

George L's seems to have the best reviews, the Monster Cables can get pretty pricey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts