The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty interesting video of these 10 players explaining their creative process while tackling this chord progression.

Fascinating to see how many chose a P90 loaded guitar.

A lot of different techniques amd ideas to add to ones arsenal from chromatic runs, ghost bends and slide to playing that emphasizes the changes.

Pete Thorn and Chris Buck were standouts to me. I also like hearing the one guy that just used his first take.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Thats friggin tremendous. I agree with Pete thorn and Chris buck being the standouts. Imagine trying to define your lead guitar style through only 8 bars of improv? There's lots that can said In that time frame, but ones style is SO LIMITED if you use that as a guage. I very often will spend the better part of 8 bars just sustaining a note just to get me to the next phrase. Very interesting stuff there. I love that nobody really took the song into a shred fest and everyone kept it very tasteful. I seriously loved that video thank you

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anyone tries to learn Buck's lines as posted above, take note of his right hand. A lot easier to do those first few phrases with your fingers. Using you thumb to mute the G string makes the passage much cleaner sounding.

I also have to agree with him about not over using your vibrato(guilty as charged). You can definitely use it as a crutch.

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
I had to put something over my screen to block the head waggling and facial expressions of Paul David. It would have been so much better without his noggin waggling through the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Adam Neely did the same idea recently. I enjoyed them both.
C

Reactions: fretzel

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I watched it a couple of times and while Chris Buck was impressive, for me Pete Thorn nailed it. He did a great job highlighting the minor 3rd which for me is what that whole progression builds up to. All in all it was great to hear the different approaches and the "juicy" tones. :)

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Feel free to put the link in here. I am sure that myself and others would like to see it.
Not exactly the same concept, but similar.
C

1 - 16 of 16 Posts