The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it odd that my strat is so heavy? my buddy's strat is much lighter, like 8 lbs:confused-smiley-010

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my bathroom scale could be off but it sure feels the part, my other guitar is 7 lbs and there is a huge difference. The strat was killing me saturday at a jam, after a few hours I finaly broke the G string and broke out the backup axe, giving me some relief.

I'll try to weigh the strat on a commercial scale soon, I was just wondering if anyone else has a "back breaker strat" maybe its a new sig model :D

·
Registered
822 Posts
That sounds unreasonably heavy even if it was a Les Paul. What's the body made of? I doubt the bathroom scales are accurate in the lower range. A heavy guitar will take it's toll on you eventually. I know this from experience. The nerve that crosses your shoulder blade is the same nerve that controls your third and fourth fingers. Be careful. ;)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CocoTone said:
Get out yer router!!! Is there a swimmin` pool in yer future??:D

CT.
That would be a shame, it's such a nice guitar, just way too heavy.

It's supposed to be alder but I dont know for sure. The model is an american deluxe '05.

I did notice the body is about half an inch thicker than my friends 86 MIA strat.

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
What year is your strat? I heard that they got heavier throughout the seventies and topped out around 78/79 while quality control hit bottom.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just weighed my other guitar that i know to be 7 lbs, it weighed on the same scale 8.5 lbs.....so that would make my strat 9 lbs, not as crazy as 10.5 lbs but heavy none the less.....quality gone down on strats :confused-smiley-010 I sure cant see any quality issues with this other than weight, infact It's one of the best built instruments i've ever examined, 95% of people who reviewed this model seem to think so as well.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Robert1950 said:
What year is your strat? I heard that they got heavier throughout the seventies and topped out around 78/79 while quality control hit bottom.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The model is an american deluxe '05

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Screem,

I saw the pic of your strat on the other post....it's hot.

There's quite a few things going on on that strat that makes it a bit heavier than most. The bridge and saddles on the newer yankee strats are chunkier than most, this will sound funny, but that colour, because of the metallic makes a bit of difference, and Maple is a little heavier than rosewood. sound weird, but i had a fender guy explain it to me once because of the very same question you had. i was trying a new american in metallic gold with maple board and couldn't believe how much heavier it was than my CS '62 reissue.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...both my '87 strat plus and my '96 tele deluxe plus are on the heavy side. i prefer light instruments, by far.

for years i used a gibson sg that was light as a feather, although it sounded heavy as :D !

·
Registered
8 Posts
david henman said:
...both my '87 strat plus and my '96 tele deluxe plus are on the heavy side. i prefer light instruments, by far.

for years i used a gibson sg that was light as a feather, although it sounded heavy as :D !

i picked up an epiphone sg in a store the other day...it was so light it felt like a toy...i like a little weight...and i love my '05 deluxe (3 tone sunburst maple neck )

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Otis '71 said:
i picked up an epiphone sg in a store the other day...it was so light it felt like a toy...i like a little weight...and i love my '05 deluxe (3 tone sunburst maple neck )
:food-smiley-004: I love my strat too, it's so damn solid you could put it through a wall, dust it off and patch in :D it is heavy though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
SCREEM said:
That would be a shame, it's such a nice guitar, just way too heavy.

It's supposed to be alder but I dont know for sure. The model is an american deluxe '05.

I did notice the body is about half an inch thicker than my friends 86 MIA strat.
Alder makes the light ones. It is probably made of something else like swamp hash.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Probably the most accurate way to weigh your guitar on a bathroom scale would be to weigh yourself holding the guitar, then pass it off, weigh yourself without it, then figure out the difference.
-Mikey

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spikezone said:
Probably the most accurate way to weigh your guitar on a bathroom scale would be to weigh yourself holding the guitar, then pass it off, weigh yourself without it, then figure out the difference.
-Mikey
good idea....9 lbs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts