The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..........and then this. I dunno, not what I woulda done.

2-millionth.jpg

I like Martin guitars, and we always criticize the traditional companies for trying something new, but this isn't as much a guitar as a modern art, I guess. I hope their 200th Ani's are more guitar, less steampunk.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Inlay work is one thing, however, steampunk is something entirely different.
There are many great lookers out there (mainly electric).
For acoustic, here's a nice subtle example.

Iirc this guitar was not meant to be steampunk inspired. It was an homage to the craftsmanship of high end watchmakers

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
that guitar looks like crap

does Martin build watches??

no....

ps I am sick of "steampunk" it is generic overused cliche garbage

OH....THAT IS SO STEAMPUNK!!

where is the puking smiley icon

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should have put brackets around 'steampunk'. I know it isn't - it was just the closest thing I could think of to the style.

They worked in concert with a small Pennsylvania watch company, thus the motif. But I don't get the connection between guitars and watches. The only connection seems to be geographic.

Anyways, good for them for doing something different, and the inlay and machining is mahvalous, but I would have gone with more wood and less gears for my 2Mth. That's what makes it art - you'll never please everyone.

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
Let's face it, Martin doesn't make these special editions to be played, might as well mske them look like they belong on a wall.
Exactly--that was the point--they even said so.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I should have put brackets around 'steampunk'. I know it isn't - it was just the closest thing I could think of to the style.

They worked in concert with a small Pennsylvania watch company, thus the motif. But I don't get the connection between guitars and watches. The only connection seems to be geographic.

Anyways, good for them for doing something different, and the inlay and machining is mahvalous, but I would have gone with more wood and less gears for my 2Mth. That's what makes it art - you'll never please everyone.
Geographic, and demographic. They guy who buys the 2 million dollar guitar will probably buy the $10k watch on the next page, and then maybe the three $1500+ pairs of cowboy boots on the page after that.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As a guitar, I find it hideous.
As a piece of art, I find it rather interesting.
I would imagine it's best role is as a conversation starter.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found a connection that isn't geographic or demographic:

·
Premium Member
9,723 Posts
it doesn't make sense to me....all those mechanics on an almost entirely (ok, tuning heads) un-mechanical instrument.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
My father and I were working on an invention where we actually make art that pleases everyone.

We came up with the solution after an hour of brainstorming. I'd love to say the idea came out of nowhere, but the rented office we were in was filled with inspiration.

·
Premium Member
9,723 Posts
My father and I were working on an invention where we actually make art that pleases everyone.
its been done already, the best he could come up with was something that pleases 50% of everyone.
Joe Francis - Wikipedia
TBH, Chuck, you kinda look like him.

the other 50% are served by:
Martha Stewart

if you can figure out a way to merge the two into something palatable for everyone, youre an f-ing genius (time saving hint: no one wants Martha Gone Wild).

·
Registered
547 Posts
I like it too.
It's inlay and marquetry.
Why not gears?
Why does it have to be birds or dragons or snowflakes or dolphins or squares or trapezoids or dots or anything else that has nothing to do with guitars.
William Laskin has no problem with fanciful inlay.
Nor do I.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts