The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and esteemed GC forum member, GTmaker, emailed me to tell me that he is trying .0022 uF (THIS IS NOT AN ERROR for .022 uF caps) caps on his tone pot after reading about it in the past. He is enjoying the results of this change so far.

The following is an argumentative thread on the topic...

Capacitor value?

Has anyone else tried low value caps? Your comments please.

Thanks

Cheers

Dave

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
My friend and esteemed GC forum member, GTmaker, emailed me to tell me that he is trying .0022 uF (THIS IS NOT AN ERROR for .022 uF caps) caps on his tone pot after reading about it in the past. He is enjoying the results of this change so far.

The following is an argumentative thread on the topic...

Capacitor value?

Has anyone else tried low value caps? Your comments please.

Thanks

Cheers
Dave
Interesting. These days I mostly use humbucker equipped guitars and rarely touch the tone knob aside from the OCD habit to make sure it is dimed every 10 seconds. I've always found the amount of mids/highs lost way too drastic for a tone pot to be of any use. Maybe experimenting with much lower cap values would change that.

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
The only problem with the article is the 100 different opinions on what is "best". In this case, I really think you would have to ignore what they all say and try it for yourself and let your ears be the judge.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
The only problem with the article is the 100 different opinions on what is "best". In this case, I really think you would have to ignore what they all say and try it for yourself and let your ears be the judge.
Oh, opinions are easy for me. If it is your guitar and you like what any specific component does, that is the best. Your last line is the "best" recommendation.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Interesting. These days I mostly use humbucker equipped guitars and rarely touch the tone knob aside from the OCD habit to make sure it is dimed every 10 seconds. I've always found the amount of mids/highs lost way too drastic for a tone pot to be of any use. Maybe experimenting with much lower cap values would change that.
If a normal cap is "too drastic" for you, then the 2200pf cap is your solution.
Let me put it this way....how many guitars any of you have where you can turn your tone pot to ZERO and have a usable tone...
I would suggest NONE of you...

After installing a 2200pf cap on my partsTele, I can use the tone pot from Zero to Ten and by happy with the results.
Thats something new for me....

G.

·
Administrator
16,474 Posts
Let me put it this way....how many guitars any of you have where you can turn your tone pot to ZERO and have a usable tone...

G.
Hate to disagree (well not really :)) but on my LP and SG's I quite often roll both tone pots right off and in the middle position hit it with some good fuzz or distortion. Instant EC "woman tone".

Having said that I'd still be interesting in checking this out as on a clean guitar signal I agree that fully rolled off is often pure mud :)

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Hate to disagree (well not really :)) but on my LP and SG's I quite often roll both tone pots right off and in the middle position hit it with some good fuzz or distortion. Instant EC "woman tone".
I always used the neck pickup alone with the tone rolled back for "woman tone", but recently noticed something in that interview where EC has The Fool plugged into a Marshall stack. He has the selector in the middle position like you mentioned, Gino, but only rolls back the tone control on the bridge pickup. FWIW I tried that & liked the added clarity of mixing in the neck pickup with the tone full up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,474 Posts
I always used the neck pickup alone with the tone rolled back for "woman tone", but recently noticed something in that interview where EC has The Fool plugged into a Marshall stack. He has the selector in the middle position like you mentioned, Gino, but only rolls back the tone control on the bridge pickup. FWIW I tried that & liked the added clarity of mixing in the neck pickup with the tone full up.

Try rolling both tones fully off and dialing the neck volume back to about 7, just for fun :)

And I'm not Gino :)

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Hmmm.... I'll have to try that. You may turn me into Wicked Uncle Ernie.

5 points to anyone who gets the reference without using The Google.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
If a normal cap is "too drastic" for you, then the 2200pf cap is your solution.

After installing a 2200pf cap on my partsTele, I can use the tone pot from Zero to Ten and by happy with the results.
Thats something new for me....

G.
I use my tone pot at zero quite often. On every thing but my Tele neck pups.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Personally I think the standard values are too high. if I turn any tone pot on any guitar I own to zero, the sound is absolutely horrible and unusable. I'm doing my tele build with 2 p90's and i'm going to go with .015 and .010 russian caps. A bit smaller in value and easier to find and much cheaper than the 22's and 47's most people want. If it is too trebly then I will go to a higher value.

I went on ebay and found 10 packs of .047, .033, .022, .015 and .010 all russian pio's. I may make a temporary switch to hide in the route so I can change caps on the fly without soldering. when I find the right values i will solder them in. All are 400v or less so size wont be an issue

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I went on ebay and found 10 packs of .047, .033, .022, .015 and .010 all Russian pio's.
FYI...Since you are doing a build and ordering caps, you could solder TWO caps of 0.010 uF (each) in series and you would have 0.005 uF. This is getting closer (by about twice the amount) to the cap size originally being discussed.

Then you could let us all know your findings/thoughts.

Please consider this humanitarian act for mankind....and GC members

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
I can try that. It may be a while for me to get that far. I haven't ordered the pickups yet.

here's lindy at .002

Reactions: greco and Milkman
1 - 20 of 34 Posts