The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

’65 PRRI or ‘68 PRRI

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
I was in this predicament years ago and ended up buying the '65, and it has since become my main amp. Personally, I think it sounds brighter (in a good way), and has more articulation. The '68 just sounds flat to my ears.

However, when it comes to the Deluxe Reverb, I have the '68, because I love the custom Bassman channel. That particular amp sounds more punchy and fuller in comparison to the '65.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
All of the '65 series of amplifiers are modern recreations of the classic and highly sought after originals.
That's why they're known as "RI"s. (re-issues)
The '68's are not RIs; they are modifications of something that was already perfect.
I believe that gives you my answer.

·
Premium Member
18,551 Posts
All of the '65 series of amplifiers are modern recreations of the classic and highly sought after originals.
That's why they're known as "RI"s. (re-issues)
The '68's are not RIs; they are modifications of something that was already perfect.
I believe that gives you my answer.
I just got my '65 RI twin retubed and biased. It sounds awesome and my only downside is that I don't stand directly in front of it at practice :p.

·
Premium Member
18,990 Posts
Seems like the biggest differences between the two could be easily matched with a little more treble on the 68.

They both sound good. The 68 sounds a but more low mid heavy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts