Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: This is never a good sign...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like

    This is never a good sign...

    Brand new body, something's gonna need a lot of sanding. :mad:



    Sorry for the fuzz, apparently my leg was the focal point in the unedited image.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto - East York
    Posts
    7,977
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure what I'm seeing here. Give me some context. Thanks.
    "Your body is not a temple. It is an amusement park" Anthony Bourdain

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert1950 View Post
    I'm not sure what I'm seeing here. Give me some context. Thanks.
    The neck is sitting too high in the pocket...there shouldn't really be any maple showing between the body and the binding.

    The strings sit right across the frets...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    dag yo!

    and is that a new guitar??
    Sparrows - sparrows613.bandcamp.com

    Safety's Off - safetysoff.bandcamp.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Budda View Post
    dag yo!

    and is that a new guitar??
    Neck and hardware is from an almost new guitar with a damaged body, the body is brand new, same series different model (same specs).

    Should fit, doesn't. :confused-smiley-010


    I'll most likely end up taking the extra off the neck as I don't want to weaken the body.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Surrey, British Columbia
    Posts
    2,062
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man, that looks like quite a bit to take off. Are you sure you want to do that.

    FYI - simply an opinion, I am definitely not a luthier!

    What kind of guitar is it??

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ibanez S Series.

    Don't have much choice, I'm not going to spend any more money on this project...these two will play nicely together or not at all ;)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burlington, Ontario
    Posts
    1,424
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kicker Of Elves View Post
    The neck is sitting too high in the pocket...there shouldn't really be any maple showing between the body and the binding.

    The strings sit right across the frets...

    There are no hard and fast rules about burrying the maple, the string height is the real issue. This neck has an overhang, sometimes when you drop the neck it will vibrate against the body and you might have to sand a little off of the back to get it to stop.

    You could adjust the bridge, but depending on the bridge type if it is sitting too high you'll get 'different' coupling and possibly too much string tension (on a two piece or string through).

    I agree that it looks better with the neck deep in the socket and the stings tight to the body though.

    If you take some meat off the back ofthe neck, you will probably need shorter neck screws to avoid poking through the fretboard (unless you are already using short screws).

    I'm guesing that one of the doner guitars had a floyd based on the forward tilt angle that the neck appears to have (or is it the shape of the body?)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamm Guitars View Post
    There are no hard and fast rules about burrying the maple, the string height is the real issue. This neck has an overhang, sometimes when you drop the neck it will vibrate against the body and you might have to sand a little off of the back to get it to stop.

    You could adjust the bridge, but depending on the bridge type if it is sitting too high you'll get 'different' coupling and possibly too much string tension (on a two piece or string through).

    I agree that it looks better with the neck deep in the socket and the stings tight to the body though.

    If you take some meat off the back ofthe neck, you will probably need shorter neck screws to avoid poking through the fretboard (unless you are already using short screws).

    I'm guesing that one of the doner guitars had a floyd based on the forward tilt angle that the neck appears to have (or is it the shape of the body?)
    Both had the Ibanez ZR (Zero Resistance) trem, which is a modified Floyd.

    I'm going to take a little off the body (mostly the generous poly) and take the rest off the neck a fraction at a time until the strings are up off the frets.

    Taking my time with this project as this body has a beautiful and interesting finish and when it's done I'll have a pretty much new guitar (with all new electronics) that I already have people calling dibs on in case I want to sell or trade. :D


    Thanks for reminding me about the screws. :food-smiley-004:

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    St. John's NF
    Posts
    699
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a point of interest...

    I have an old '96 Ibanez RG and I'm pretty sure there's some maple showing at the joint (guitar is stock). I'd have to check to be 100% sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •