Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Are Some Excellent Copycat Guitars And Amps So Inexpensive?

Post Thanks / Like

Why Are Some Excellent Copycat Guitars And Amps So Inexpensive?

You've seen them and maybe even bought them. The marketplace is full of them and growing. There are some excellent guitars and amps now available at prices unheard of even a few years ago. What are the many reasons we are seeing this?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea if they are excellent as you say but I will guess they are cheap because they come from (the most part...) slave labour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post an example of an excellent copycat guitar and we'll have at it... there's always a reason.
    bollocks milkman... that's ruuubish

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
    You've seen them and maybe even bought them. The marketplace is full of them and growing. There are some excellent guitars and amps now available at prices unheard of even a few years ago. What are the many reasons we are seeing this?
    They lack that big brand name, a traceable serial number, and somewhere that says "Made in USA"

Post Thanks / Like
    They exist to give Steadfastly a reason to post Gibson hate. That's about it.
    Ever quote one of your earlier posts and respond like you were talking to another person?
    NO! Of course not!! That's completely idiotic!
    Being a super hypocrite is also effective trolling along with projection - still not biting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    They lack that big brand name, a traceable serial number, and somewhere that says "Made in USA"
    That is no doubt one of the reasons but those things are what people look for mostly on collector models. What about the non collector models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_D View Post
    Can you post an example of an excellent copycat guitar and we'll have at it... there's always a reason.
    Yes,specific examples you have real life experience with.

Not just reading internet babble .

I'm thinking about a new amp,let's start there .

Post Thanks / Like
    Primarily, there are significant differences in wages (and benefits) as well as working conditions for those who are building the guitars. Monetary differences in currency values of the origin country relative to the US are also factors.

Basically, these economic differences are large enough that it's more than profitable to make the stuff overseas and ship finished product to North American and Euro markets. Gibson and Fender have developed extensive overseas operations for that significant chunk of their market who don't want to pay the extra money for a "made in the US" product; it's just business.

Otherwise, a guitar is a guitar. And by the way, plenty of Asian-made guitars have traceable serial numbers: Washburns and Epiphones come to mind.
    Last edited by Maxer; 02-12-2014 at 06:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree Stead'ly, I have been gassing for a Collings Les Paul copy (City Limits, about $5k US) and a Suhr copy of a Marshall (SL 68, about $4k Can). Both handmade bargains.
    Alas, out of my price league. I don't know why they are so inexpensive compared to custom shop or vintage originals. Must be their low marketing/advertising costs.

Post Thanks / Like
    ive had a few brand x guitars where the poly was so thick, it's like they used the kind for sealing deck furniture. my roxbury was like that. a great guitar otherwise but i hated the poly
    let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast