Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Traynor YBA 1 MOD1

Post Thanks / Like

New Traynor YBA 1 MOD1

Looks like Traynor have come up with a regular production model based on the limited edition that was out recently.
    A few changes, such as more wattage choices, 2 inputs instead of 4 etc.
    A friend and L&M employee let me know that they are pretty wicked. Might have to take a closer look!

http://traynoramps.com/guitar/limite...uct/yba-1mod1/

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm definitely digging the look of this 30 watter.

Name:  traynor.png2.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  9.0 KBName:  traynor.png3.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  14.1 KB

- - - Updated - - -

And yes I managed to give you a "like".

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious how it stacks up against the Limited edition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm. That's not more wattage choices, it's slightly different though.
    Tribute 40-20-10-5-2.5
    Mod 40-20-5-1-0.5

I used my Tribute as my primary amp for several months, though I am not now. It's a decent enough amp, I was just always surprised that an amp labelled YBA-1 had almost no headroom. :( I always intended to retube it with some old glass, but never got around to it....I don't really dig the amp's overdrive all that much, it's a little smoother and fine grained than I typically like.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still undecided about the look of that slant 2x12. My brain wants to see it a bit wider. Too used to the 4x12 shape I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by keto View Post
    Hmm. That's not more wattage choices, it's slightly different though.
    Tribute 40-20-10-5-2.5
    Mod 40-20-5-1-0.5

I used my Tribute as my primary amp for several months, though I am not now. It's a decent enough amp, I was just always surprised that an amp labelled YBA-1 had almost no headroom. :( I always intended to retube it with some old glass, but never got around to it....I don't really dig the amp's overdrive all that much, it's a little smoother and fine grained than I typically like.
    Thanks for clarifying the wattage. So, not much headroom, even at the 40 watt setting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting.

30 watts seems a bit light for a pair of EL34 tubes. I wonder why the quoted power output is so low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg - I agree, the Tribute model was rated 40W, and the lowest I can remember a pair of EL34's rated is 35W.

MrY - Well, I do play with humbuckers and generally play louder than 'bedroom' volumes. I haven't played it hardly at all with singles, I image it has enough for lots of guys. But even in the ch1 low input, by 2.5 on the dial it's not really clean clean. If you use the hotter ch1 high, there is essentially 0 headroom.

Post Thanks / Like
    30w isn't all that uncommon for EL34s. The Bad Cat Hot Cat & Kool Cat 30w run EL34s, for example. I'm sure there are plenty more. Depends on the architecture of the circuit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bought the YBX 212. Now looking for a 30-50W head to sit atop. I am considering the MOD1 but since I like pedals in front of a relatively clean amp, reading about the lack of headroom is a concern. Will it stay clean enough to jam/bar gig with ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric I View Post
    Just bought the YBX 212. Now looking for a 30-50W head to sit atop. I am considering the MOD1 but since I like pedals in front of a relatively clean amp, reading about the lack of headroom is a concern. Will it stay clean enough to jam/bar gig with ?
    I found the answer to be 'no' with my Tribute and humbuckers. Even at 40W setting, there just isn't that much headroom - by 2 or 2.5 even on the low input, I was starting to crunch up on chords. Probably if you are playing a low output Strat, you could get away with it. Also somewhat depends how clean you need your clean to be - if you can stand some hair around the notes, go try one out. Otherwise, I'd say there are many better options.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast