Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ibanez 1979 Artist

Post Thanks / Like

Ibanez 1979 Artist

I saw this for sale on Kijiji today for $700.00 including hard case. It's in good shape but not excellent. Do you think it is a decent deal or is the guy asking too much?

Here is a rare 1979 Ibanez Artist guitar with the Original case
    I do not know what model this is, so if anyone out there knows please fill me in!

I won this as part of an estate auction, and selling it like I got it. I know about acoustic guitars, and adjust them etc., but I do not know anything about electric guitars, so when I get them I sell them like I get them. The only thing I have done is plug it in at my brothers house, I don't even own an amplifier so bring one if your interested lol. There is a little fret buzz, so I think it could use a setup, and if you look at the 3rd picture, you will notice that little knob is broken, but still works. Other than that you probably know more than me. Absolutely beautiful guitar though! Wish I played electric or I would keep it!

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy-...AdIdZ349847408

Post Thanks / Like
    It's got the preamp. Search some Ibanez forums.
    Looks like a good deal to me.
    Still a fresh ad ( minimal views).

Post Thanks / Like
    He probably has a bit of flexibility in his price, he got it at an estate sale. Should take some form of microamp with you, make sure all the controls work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a good deal to me provided its not cracked or something
    Some stupid with a flare gun

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember them retailing for around $900 to $1200 at the time depending on woods, inlays, etc. I worked at The Guitar Cellar in Vancouver at the time where a lot of musicians of note would come in and praise them over the Les Pauls we had that retailed at a slightly higher price. They are nice guitars (new ones retail up $3000 for deluxe models these days).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. I thought it was a bit high but you all think it's in line so I'll look at it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I got my early `80s Artist, I posted pics on line at another site and was made aware of what is called " binding rot "... had never heard of it before and learned it is not at all uncommon on those old Ibanez models and can be cause by keeping them locked in the case for long periods of time. Seems it`s hard to control once it takes control...if it`s not too bad evidently it can be kind of cleaned off...but needs to be watched as, it seems, it can spread quickly and get inside joints and under finishes as well as binding...if it gets too bad the binding will just flake off and will have to be changed. I read it has something to do with gasses released in the enclosed space of the guitar case. Mine had a little black...almost fungus looking stuff seen in one of the pics I posted...I just thought it was dirt...but found out that wasn`t the case. Just alerting you `cause maybe you don`t know about that or maybe you do...I didn`t and so far it doesn`t seem to be spreading on mine but I keep it in a soft case and not in it`s origial hard case...which of course I still have it`s just empty. Paid about $600.00 for mine so $700.00 isn`t that far fetched in my opinion, `course if you pay less then thats even better...but man those Super `58 p`ups sound very good to me, not to mention it has Honduras mahogany for the back which costs a lot more on today`s guitars. Has a veneer flame maple top but that never really bothered me so I don`t care about that fact. Nice player and I`m happy with mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    He jacked his price up. $750.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its too bad he is jacking the price up. That said I would probably would still pay that asking price if all the controls worked and there was no damage other than small cosmetic stuff going on. Fortunately I already have three humbucker equipped guitars so I'm not even tempted one bit. Honest. Plus I'm saving every spare penny to buy a Fender Jaguar.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was actually thinking on more like $500.00. I'm not enamoured with any guitar because it's got a certain name on the headstock. What matters to me is playability, quality, tone and then I guess looks. I'll never be a collector unless you call buying and trading a few guitars to keep getting ones I like better and I doubt whether I would ever have any more than 4 at one time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast