Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: What acoustic should I look for?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    What acoustic should I look for?

    I'm in the market for an acoustic guitar but I have no idea what to look for. I know a thing or two about the electric market, but I am clueless about where to start when it comes to acoustic. I've done some reading and like the idea of the Taylor big baby, but I would like to explore other similar options.

    I'd like to be able to travel a bit with the guitar and not worry about it taking up my entire back seat. And I want something solid enough to take a bit of bumpin around. I don't want a full size acoustic and I also don't want one of those little toy travel guitars.

    I would prefer to buy something used, as I can usually get a better product for a better price that way. But, I'm not opposed to something new, for the right price either.

    I would like to keep it around $250 + or - $100, if possible. I know that isn't a lot, but this guitar will not be a show piece. I want it to play good and sound good, and I could really care less what it looks like.

    Anyway, what options do you suggest I look for.

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    hamilton,ontario
    Posts
    2,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey there...you should try a parlor guitar...it's a smaller bodied guitar compared to a dreadnaught...and it'll fit nicely in the back seat of your car...

    i've got one of these and i absolutely love it...it plays easy...it's louder than you'd expect...it's very light and comfortable to play...



    parlor guitars are size 000 as seen in this chart...


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, thanks for the chart Jimi. That'll be very helpful. I've was told that Martin makes some amazing acoustic guitars. Are they the company you'd recommend I look for?

    What price range is that Martin in the picture. Very nice lookin guitar.

    Thanks again for the info. Gives me a good idea of what to look for.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like
    3/4 does look to small for what I want. Parlor size does look about right for what I'm looking for.

    So, I guess I should change my request to, "What are some of the best Parlor sized guitars?"

    Thanks again Jimi, very helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,048
    Post Thanks / Like
    Considering your budget, you should be looking in the used market. A used Seagull Grand (PArlour size) would fit the bill at the top of your budget.
    Ron
    Acoustic and Studio Enthusiast/Addict

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Burlington, Ontario
    Posts
    4,241
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I am not mistaken, these guitars are in the 300 to 10,000 +tx range. :) It does really depend on maker. In a quickie look I saw some 'low end' guitars at 115 or so, but the sound they make for me is just not satisfying.

    If you don't go used, you can also go financed. Long and McQuade has a good financing program. 250 down on a 400 dollar guitar, you can fill in the difference easily over 12 payments.

    As to identifying the guitar you really want:

    http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/size.html

    That's a fun page to click through, but I have not always found what they list there actually available for purchase. Other makers I would think would have similar pages but Martin was mentioned so there is Martins link.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cobourg
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm confused. I thought the 000 was the same size as an OM or Orchestra Model and a Parlour was a bit smaller than that. At least the Simon and Patrick parlour model I use to have was smaller than my OM-28 Marquis.
    Are some parlour models smaller than others?

    Brian

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Considering your budget, you should be looking in the used market. A used Seagull Grand (PArlour size) would fit the bill at the top of your budget.
    Seagull Grand hey? great I'll look into them. They are a Canadian company I believe also, which is even better :)


    Quote Originally Posted by keeperofthegood View Post
    If I am not mistaken, these guitars are in the 300 to 10,000 +tx range. :) It does really depend on maker. In a quickie look I saw some 'low end' guitars at 115 or so, but the sound they make for me is just not satisfying.

    If you don't go used, you can also go financed. Long and McQuade has a good financing program. 250 down on a 400 dollar guitar, you can fill in the difference easily over 12 payments.

    As to identifying the guitar you really want:

    http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/size.html

    That's a fun page to click through, but I have not always found what they list there actually available for purchase. Other makers I would think would have similar pages but Martin was mentioned so there is Martins link.
    I will be keeping my eyes open on the used market for sure. Hopefully I'll stumble onto a really great deal.

    The L&M Financing option is a GREAT idea. I never even thought of that. Opens up a bunch more possibilities. Thanks very much for that advice.

    Also, thanks for the link to the martin page. Very nice lookin guitars there. It'll help with the research.


    Quote Originally Posted by brimc76 View Post
    I'm confused. I thought the 000 was the same size as an OM or Orchestra Model and a Parlour was a bit smaller than that. At least the Simon and Patrick parlour model I use to have was smaller than my OM-28 Marquis.
    Are some parlour models smaller than others?

    Brian
    Seriously great question. I am an acoustic newb, and all these numbers are startin to make my head spin. Thanks for askin that question.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,107
    Post Thanks / Like
    Acoustic guitars vary a lot in sound, feel, playability, etc., particularly at that price point. Really the only way to do it is to go to as many stores as you can and play every guitar they have within your budget. Eventually, you'll find one that stands out. Buy that one.

    It's the only fool-proof method.

    Buying through Craigslist or something like that when you don't really have anything to compare it to is a crap-shoot at best. Don't do it. Try to have a very large pool of guitars that you can compare head-to-head. For your first guitar (or first acoustic), whether new or used, buy it from a store.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sheho Sk
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Due to health reasons I cannot handle a dreadnaught like I used to. I purchased a Simon & Patrick woodland parlor guitar. Just fell in love with it.
    For a small bodied guitar, it has full, real sound, and not tinny at all, as some of the smaller less expensive ones have. I know that Long & Mcquade do carry some of the Godin lines. Just a word of caution, there are a lot of folks out there that are looking a smaller bodied guitar. That being said, I would suggest that you purchase a quality guit with a solid top. Something that will hold its value and you could sell it at a fair market value, if you must.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •