Thread: I have narrowed down my choice / Amp and Cab

Post Thanks / Like

I have narrowed down my choice / Amp and Cab

Well ! I'm almost there.

I followed everyone's suggestion, did tons of reading on Amps, Cabs and Combos, asked lots of questions, tried out some stuff of course, kept in consideration what you guys said as to “ buy as much power as you can afford, and here where I am with all of this.

In my choice I considered the following, Sound as a top priority ( for what I can afford ), Wattage, Price is always the show stopper and brings me back to reality, Visual effect because to me it matters, Having something portable was the least of my concerns, but this is not a bad package.

For the Amp Head, I’m going with a Yorkville XS400H 400W Bass Head 2 x 8 ohms with Tube Preamp, from what I read / reviews and seen / heard so far, this Amp head offers all the bang for the buck$$$.

For the Cab, well in this case it’s going to be Cabs for the sound I’m looking for ;)

For the Punchy Chest Feeling, I’m going with the Yorkville XC210 8 ohms Cabinet, this 2 x 10 inch mid Cab packs a nice punch.

Combine with, for the low end effect plus extra output, I’m going with the Yorkville XC115XC 8 ohms Bass Extension Cabinet, this 1 x 15 inch bottom Cab vibrates the fixtures of the walls.

Let’s see how the neighbors will fair over the coming months rotf

I have decided to purchase new for the following reasons. The good used stuff is scarce or pricey, plus Yorkville is changing over all there brand name to Traynor, so good deals are to be had on what ever is left in the stores right now, for a little more than the used equipment pricing in my area, I can get all new with full 2 years warranty.

The head has been ordered ( store transfer ) and the two cabs I want are on the floor, so in the next week or so, I should have all of this plugged in and making noise at my place lol :rockon2:

Any and all comments are welcome.
    Last edited by speckledmind; 09-26-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yay! I love it when a plan comes together! I think you made a wise choice.
    Rock on indeed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!! Still some Yorkie in the stores eh? :rockon2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by james on bass View Post
    Still some Yorkie in the stores eh? :rockon2:
    Thanks guys.
    Yep, this is the time to buy.

One more thing before I forget.

I’m also considering the Yorkville XC410 Cab instead of the XC210 ;) and of course it would be stacked on top of the Yorkville XC115XC.

I need to try that combination out before I lock in the deal.

Last edited by speckledmind; 09-26-2008 at 11:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'll be fine with the 2x10 & 1x15, but there's no hurt in trying everything out. The 2x10 on top of the 4x10 could be a nice combo as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by speckledmind View Post
    I’m also considering the Yorkville XC410 Cab instead of the XC210 ;) and of course it would be stacked on top of the Yorkville XC115XC.
    Looks great. I've only played through Yorkville/Traynor combos, mostly the 200 watt models so I can't comment on their head/cab combinations. Generally speaking though, the 210/115 cab combo should be more than enough, especially if you're just starting out on the bass (as per your intro). If anything, it would certainly give you lots of tonal choices.

You mentioned that portability is the "least of your concerns" at the moment. I think it would be prident to at least consider it where the 410 is concerned, for I would not classify the Traynor products you've chosen as light, based on the specs on their website and by today's standards.

Keep in mind I'm soon to be 52, so everything to me is heavy :smile:

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Fajah. It's not so easy to lug the 4-10 box. All of the Yorkville items in this thread are excellent performers. Good value for the money. For myself, I'd rather load in/load out the 2-10 and 1-15 as separate cabs instead of lugging the 4-10. I've done this in recent years. I'm another guy in his 50's; my back and heart don't need the extra physical stress.
    You'll have lots and lots of volume and the head has a wide variety of tones to dial in. Just my taste, but I don't care for any tube distortion mixed in. I elect to play without the tube in the signal path. I like tube warmth in an amp but in this case I found it just sounded buzzy....which isn't for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    To speckledmind:
    So how much is this rig anyway? Looks like a nice setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajah View Post
    I'm soon to be 52, so everything to me is heavy :smile:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I'm another guy in his 50's; my back and heart don't need the extra physical stress.
    Interestingly enough, I will also turn 50 in mid December 08, but I have a different view on life.
    Being older doesn’t mean being dead, it simply means doing this differently ;) so I will let my 34 year old Girlfriend help me out with this stuff ;) rotf

Here are the specs on the Yorkie stuff I pulled out here and there form the Net, I can’t seem to make heads way with the yorkville web site.
    - Yorkville XS400H Dimensions (inches) 15.5” x 19” x 3.5”, Weight (lbs ) 29.5
    - Yorkville XC210 Dimensions ( inches) 22-1/2"W x 22-1/2"H x 15-1/5"D, Weight (lbs ) 63 lbs.
    - Yorkville XC410 Bass Cab Dimensions (DWH, inches) 23"W x 26"H x 15-1/4"D, Weight (lbs) 89 lbs.
    - Yorkville XC115 Bass Cabinet Dimensions ( inches) 23"W x 23"H x 15"D, Weight (lbs) 55 lbs.

There is a 29 lb difference from the 210 Cab and 410 Cab, and my final decision to purchase will be based on the sound / grove I’m looking for exclusively, not weight.

If I want to lug around something easy, I can take the 15 inch Cab, when it will be time to get a bit more serious, well ! we shall see.

Considering that I’m new to the Bass world, I know all of this is over kill for now, but I play for “ me “ before anything else, always have and always will, it's all about the sound, it’s been my single philosophy for the last 35 some years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamstrung View Post
    To speckledmind: So how much is this rig anyway? Looks like a nice setup.
    I’m not ready to tell you how crazy this spending spree will be, but I can tell you this, from what I have seen in the used Market over the last few months, buying new is sweet right now.
    Last edited by speckledmind; 09-27-2008 at 08:21 AM.