Thread: Nitrocellulose Lacquer in Canada (update)

Post Thanks / Like

Nitrocellulose Lacquer in Canada (update)

I get quite a few e-mails regarding nitrocellulose lacquer and where you can get it in Canada. There was a thread here somewhere that I had posted to and gave out some info on where to get it in a couple of places that I called and confirmed that they do have it.

Anyway, the search just got allot easier:

http://www.cabotstain.com/cabot/pdf/...ng-Lacquer.pdf

Please note that they also sell lacquer in a spray bomb - it is not nitro. Brushing lacquer aparently is commonly nitro based - so ask for brushing lacquer. Also, I'm not sure that the Cabot Sanding sealer is compatible with their lacquer as they only state that it is compatible with their varnishes and poly.

You can pick this stuff up at Lowes in Canada. Minwax also has brushing lacquer which is also nitro based, but I can't find it anywhere (they also have a sealer that is designed to work with it).

I was after sanding sealer when I stumbled accross this, I really have no interest in nitro lacquer and I don't use it myself.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    hi hamm-
    i read somewhere else that the minwax stuff is not available here- have no first hand knowledge tho. if the cabotstain is available at the lowes here- well ill piss in my pants! theres a lowes just down the street now....
    thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fraser View Post
    hi hamm-
    i read somewhere else that the minwax stuff is not available here- have no first hand knowledge tho. if the cabotstain is available at the lowes here- well ill piss in my pants! theres a lowes just down the street now....
    thanks for the info!

I was just there, you can get it in a 3.8l bucket and in quarts. About $45 for the 3.8l and $14-16 for the quart.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks hamm, thats awesome, and damnably convenient.
    ill just go change my pants then-

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also buy spray cans of Watco Clear Lacquer (in gloss and satin) at most HomeDepot locations- it's nitrocellulose.

gtrguy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrguy View Post
    You can also buy spray cans of Watco Clear Lacquer (in gloss and satin) at most HomeDepot locations- it's nitrocellulose.
    What kind of a finish do you get with this product....How many cans to do an acoustic guitar?......Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure that Lee Valley sells Deft.
    - Don Gear: '01 LP-R9, ' 98 Am Std Strat, '64 ES 330TDC, '57 LP TV Special, Mesa Transatlantic 30, JTM60 2x12 w/2x12 ext cab, 1960 Hammond A-100, 1947 Hammond CV, '62 Leslie 45, Nord Electro