Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Amp recommendations?

I am about to buy a Ibanez Soundgear bass. i will be installing an active Alembic "P" pickup.

I am looking for an amp under $750. I'd like the amp to have a headphone jack (I'm an apartment dweller).

I'm not against buying used. I'm just looking for something suitable for my situation. I have a headphone practice amp already.

the amp will eventually used for jamming\rehersal and other than that I don't really know where to turn.

Is an Ampeg B100 suitable for my situation, or does anyone have any amps that they would recommend over the Ampeg (I'm not sure if I believe Ampegs sales pitch saying that it is close to the portaflex.

Does anyone have a highly recommended amp for me? I've been reading about Nemesis, but since I live in the frozen tundra of the Yukon I can't test anything else and I must rely on the experience of my fellow Canadian Low Downers.

My (eventual) style will be reggae, classic rock and some jazz...

Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been partial the last couple years to Yorkville product. Good power and a nice transparent tone.

The XM200 can be had with either 2 10's or 1 15" and can handle an extension cab to get the full 200 watts. Has a phone jack as well.

http://www.traynoramps.com/products....&cat=64&type=7

I don't have any personal experience with the Ampeg.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the input.

Oddly enough I've been looking at Yorkville, I noticed Yorkville has discontinued several models.

Are they all under the Traynor name now?

And what about active and passive inputs? is it necessary to buy an amp with an active input?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, Yorkville is moving all the bass amps over to the Traynor name. It is a marketing thing, I am sure they will be the same quality.

You only need an active input if your bass has a very hot output. Although you could always just turn it down ;)

I don't know what the used selection is like way up there, but Peavey is a good but heavy choice. And Peavey holds it's value used.

Post Thanks / Like
    another Q.

I wish, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to hit the superstar musician status....
    so, for jamming with friends, practice and possibly small venue gigs what size of driver should I be looking for?

Do you think a 1 x 10, 1 x 12, 2 x 12 etc. should I be what I'm looking for?

I'm a huge fan of the reggae greats, JPJ and classic rock and some jazz.

Can a 1 x 15 go too deep for a jam\small venue? Will a 1 or 2 x 10 be more suitable?

thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say for Reggae and classic rock, you can't go wrong with a 15". Especially since most cabs and combos will have horns as well so you can still get your highs.

If you do choose to go with a combo, get as much power as you can afford and preferably something that will allow for an extension cab down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skydigger View Post
    I am looking for an amp under $750. I'd like the amp to have a headphone jack (I'm an apartment dweller).

Is an Ampeg B100 suitable for my situation, or does anyone have any amps that they would recommend over the Ampeg (I'm not sure if I believe Ampegs sales pitch saying that it is close to the portaflex...........
    Hey SkyDigger; I'm not sure if I have ever noticed a bass amp with a headphone jack.

The B100 is a pretty respectable amp but if you're going up against a loud drummer and a couple guitars, it could be lost in the mix. I have no idea if it is like a portaflex but they do definitely sound like 'Ampeg'.

Wasn't someone selling a Yorkville 200W tube head here? Then you could add cabs as you like/need.

At least you don't have to find a left-handed one, huh. :wave:

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on the Yorkville XM200 (1x15). I just got a used one recently. It has the headphone jack, a XLR balanced direct output for recording plus a jack for an extension cab. Excellent value.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too like the 1x15 XM200. It also has a tuner out with mute switch, limiter switch, and the XLR out can be switched from line to DI. Mine was gigged heavily for a while and now sits in the teaching studio waiting for the next bass call. A very worthy amp. I always wanted to match it with it's 2x10(12?) brother (via an a/b/y box) for more versatility but never got around to it before the band in question split.

Peace, Mooh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Hey SkyDigger; I'm not sure if I have ever noticed a bass amp with a headphone jack.

Wasn't someone selling a Yorkville 200W tube head here? Then you could add cabs as you like/need.

At least you don't have to find a left-handed one, huh. :wave:
    LOL on the lefty comment.

Lots of Bass Amps have headphone jacks. I've been doin' some reading over at SWR, Nemesis, GK...all over the place.

I'd like to buy Canadian :smilie_flagge17: so I guess Yorkville would be the answer, but I'm thinking a combo should do the job for now...

Thanks to all for the advice! I'll keep my eyes open for a Yorkville XM200. Right now I'm waiting on my bass to arrive and after a little modification I'll hunt down a suitable amp.

I just went to the Yorkville site and they also offer a 200w 2 x 10. Not only that, the only music store in Whitehorse which sells Yamaha and not much else is a Yorkville dealer! Problem solved.
    Last edited by skydigger; 12-17-2007 at 11:49 AM. Reason: To say thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast